networking problem -

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I have a wireless network setup at home for my PEECEES. They all connect via M$ broadband base station and recievers. My 17" PB logs on to the network no problem and thats how I surf the net. The problem I have is trying to access files on other computers. While in my room on my DELL, I can easily access the files on a computer in another room by just going to My Network Places. THe thing is, I cant see my Mac listed in the MY NETWORK PLACES folder, and I dont know where to look for the other computers on the mac - I dont know where the equivilent for MY NETWORK PLACES folder is on my mac. I would appreciate any help you can send my way on how to overcome this little problem. :) I am a new switcher and am unsure of how to do this. Thanks again

The computers that are on the network are running WIN XP and WIN 98

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have you tried "Connect to Server" (Command + K) under your Finder's "Go" menu?

It should list any SMB shares coming from PCs on your local network.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

rower -

i guess i shouldnt be surprised. it was one of the reasons i switched. i appreciate the quick and timley response. you took 2 min to reply to my post - microsoft had my on hold for 2 hours :| and still nothing. it worked. thank you very very much. thank you :D

i can finally listen to mp3's without dling them onto my laptop. just stream it over from my dell

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I spoke too soon. I can now access all the files on the hardrive of the WIN 98 peecees, but not the XP. It seems when it comes to the peecee i can only access files located in the MY SHARED DOCUMENTS. I actually have a secondary harddrive installed on that peeceee, and when I click the share option, it wont show up on my mac. It seems the mac only recognizes the SHARE DOCUMENTS folder. Because that folder is on the C: drive and not the D (my second hardrive) i cant drag and drop the movie and music files i want to acceess into that folder due to space constraints. Any Ideas?

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, usually Windows doesn't want you to share an entire drive. It should be possible, though.

If you can't get it, maybe just share individual folders inside the D drive.

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried that

but the mac wont read it
    when i try to connect it says error -43 or something like that

hmmm damn - was soo hoping itd work

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

How about you get sneaky and make a shortcut to the D drive inside your shared docs folder?

9. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

just tried that

but now it wont even let me get onto the computer - says "an error has occured (error = -43)"

and when i try to log onto the other computers it says - "an error has occured (error = -36) "

:(

did i break it?

10. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It is possible the windows machine won't let you log into it unless you are logging into the windows machine with your mac using an account name the windows machine will recognize (i.e. is your account name on both machines the same?). Maybe that is important.

11. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

its the same

i just did something stupid - i deleted the keychain file labled with my username - is there anyway to undelete?

12. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

just logged back on to those computers

it recognizes only the my documents folder for the xp - but recognizes the entire drive for the win 98. this is strange - any other suggestions?

the linking it thru a short cut does not seem to work

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I can't check out XP sharing until Monday...but I swear I've been able to share a whole drive.

You've got admin priveleges when directly on the XP machine, right?

14. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got it guys!

i linked the entire drive
    dunno why it took soo long to recognize

but appreciate your quick and timley responses
    it means alot to me knowing that all i need to do is post an issue and have it solved :D

15. unc32 macrumors regular