Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino679

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Longisland, Ny
Hello all, today I bought a D-link 4port router to share my dsl connection between my New Imac, and my windows box (kids pc).....now that I have them both sharing...What else can I do??...lol....I wasnt sure if theres something really neato I can accomplish.....any input welcomed :)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Things to do

So everything is working perfectly, now what to do now.

1) Well you could set up a back up system, that is important documents from your Mac and PC back up to eachother. So if one gets broken, then not all your documents for work, or your kids report, don't gets lost.

2) Do a webpage, you can host it on your Mac, takes a little port configuring on the router so people out on the internet can see it, otherwise you can see it from your kids PC. You can have fun doing that, testing out your skills in that area.

(Open Systems Preferences, Sharing, then check Personal Web Sharing, Server is done and the address is displayed below, so check it out from the PC. For internet people to see it, set up router with port fowarding to that address on port 80, then give out the IP address that your ISP gives to you out to the people you want to see it, should be on the router under something like Status)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.