Networking question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazymuoio, Jul 8, 2004.

1. lazymuoio macrumors member

Right now im a PC user crack all the windows jokes you want i agree it SUCKS. i recently saw my cousin and he had his new ibook G4 and i was so impressed i want to buy one. the only thing holding me back is whether or not i will be able to connect to a wireless linksys network through the airport extreme card and whether i will be able to transfer files between the mac and other wintel PCs on the network. Please help

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You will be able to connect to a Linksys wireless network as long as it is 802.11b or 802.11g. If it is 802.11a (unlikely) then it will not be so easy to get an iBook on the network, because the Airport card does not support the (a) frequency (5 GHz) and there is no PC card slot to add an 802.11a adaptor. But its tres unlikely that you have an 802.11a network....

As for transferring files, you can set up to transfer files and share printers in both directions. This is not too difficult, and people here will be glad to help you. You can mount the PC disk drives on the mac, and I'm pretty sure vice versa, at least if you use appletalk and maybe without it. And people here'll be glad to help.

3. lazymuoio thread starter macrumors member

thank you its 802.11b but will the mac be able to see windows files? i no that the windows can see the macs files through sys prefrences and windows file shar

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes. There's a utility called Directory Access that's pre-installed that will let you (among other things) set your windows workgroup. Then you can mount any shared resources directly. I've done read-write with windows disks and printed to windows printers with no problems. The scanner we have only works on our PC so I was scanning stuff on it and copying it off the PC hard drive onto my iBook and into iPhoto. :)