networking....:S (Doom 3)

Discussion in 'Games' started by leec, Jul 16, 2005.

1. leec macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2005
    Sorry for such a noob question, but i am considering purchasing a mac, although i dont play many games, i noticed that doom 3 had been brought out for the mac os, so here goes my it possible to setup a network with my freinds who are windows users, to play a network game of doom??

thanks for any advice :)
  2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    This is from the Doom 3 for Mac readme file:

Network Play
    This release of Doom 3 allows PC and Mac users to play each other in multiplayer games. When creating a server, there is an advanced option called 'Pure Server' that defaults to 'YES'. With Pure Server games, the server and client perform additional checks to ensure no user is cheating.

The Mac version of Doom 3 includes an additional data file named game02.pk4. If the PC installation of Doom 3 does not have this data file, then a Mac user cannot join a Pure Server game hosted by the PC. A future patch to the Win32 and Linux version of Doom 3 will include this data file. At that point, all users will be able to play each other using the default settings.

When Pure Server is set to 'NO', Mac and PC users can play each other in multiplayer games without having to worry about this additional data file.
  3. leec thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2005

Thankyou for your fast reply, so i can still whoop there butts :) hehe
  4. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005

One note though...

Doom 3's multiplayer is sooooooo cr@ppy, its a single-player game after all ;)