Networking/sharing files across the network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raptor96, Dec 11, 2006.

1. raptor96 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right subforum for this but I have a quick question: re sharing files on the internal network. So I transitioned to OS X a while back and never figured this out then but it's become more important since I now live in a house with several people, all of whom have files I'd like convenient access to. So anyway, in Windows you could right click a folder/file and share it quickly. On OS X I find that the only way I know of to share files is to put them into that public drop box thing in my Home folder. This is really inefficient for me as I have almost 200 gb of stuff I'd like to share w/ my roommates and it's on my external HD so I can't really put it on my laptop. Is there any way to share files and folders without moving a copy of them to the public drop box?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacVault macrumors 65816

Welcome to OS X's networking UI methodoligy (or lack of) - it leaves MUCH to be desired. It *better* all be fixed in Leopard or I'm gonna switch to Vista! :mad: XP and Vista's networking is way better than OS X. Come'on Apple! This is rediculous! Mac OS 9 networking/Chooser was way better than OS X is now!

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

This is how I have it setup, use Sharepoints (Link Above) and then make an alias for your external HD on your desktop. Sharepoint' the alias and boom; there you go.:)

4. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'll try Sharepoints after my last final and see how it goes. Now to get my roommates all using it...

5. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a