Networking to a PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Jan 25, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    Hey there!

I got a G5 dp1.8 yesterday and want to know what the best way to network it to my PC is. I have a Belkin 5 port network switch.

Is there a way to hook up the PC so that I can work off of that and the mac at the same time through my apple display? or do I need to have another monitor hooked up to the pc?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

2. raytube macrumors member

Nov 13, 2003
    Yep, you can either use a KVM switch to physically share the connection or you can use Microsofts (free!) Remote Desktop Connection client for OSX,

This is the solution I use, it's probably not the best if you were trying to do anything taxing graphics card wise as it's not a fast refresh but it's perfect for running apps like Office, web browsing etc. My pc runs as a server so it's mostly configuration, basic browsing occasional Office, MySQL use. Although at times I have used my old PC copy of Dreamwaeaver and Flash through it as the latest DW is pretty buggy (that's another story!).

There is a limitation on which OS you need on the PC, but if it's WinXP Pro you have then it will definitely work, you should find more info about that on the link above.

Your switch will be fine, just make sure you have Windows networking set up in the System Preference for Sharing (or is it network? you'll find it!)

Hope that helps!