Networking two macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jono1, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Jono1 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    I have a G4 emac, a G4 power book and a netcomm NB1300 plus 4 modem router. The emac is on net and working. It is connected via ethernet cable and does not have an airport card. The laptop has an airport card. :confused: I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to connect the laptop through the router to get it on the internet (best and cheapest)?
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    The easiest way is to replace the router with one that includes Wireless capability. You could also put an Airport card into the eMac and share it's existing connection, but that would mean leaving the eMac on whenever you wanted to use the Internet from your PowerBook. Lastly, you could buy a wireless access point and plug it into your existing router.

I take it from your "modem/router" comment that you are on ADSL user. There are a number of different solutions from companies such as Linksys, Netgear, Zyxel etc. if you decide to take the replacement route. I personally use Netgear and have no problems with it, but others will likely be able to recommend cheaper alternatives that provide the same functionality. The same companies also do wireless access points, which work out much cheaper.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    $5-10 ethernet hub, and a couple $3-5 ethernet cables.
  4. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    LOL. Having re-read the OP's problem you're quite right. He doesn't actually say he needs the PowerBook to connect wirelessly does he! :D