Networking- using Linksys wireless router

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SasyBabe, Apr 24, 2003.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

I have a PC network set up using my linksys router...and i just got my new 17" PB yesterday!! I wanna connect my PB wirelessly to my wireless router... but how????

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-SasyBabe

You should be able to see the available network in your AirPort menu (in teh main finder menu) when your AirPort is on automatically. It might say "linksys" (if you didn't change the name of the router) in that menu. All you do is select it.

If this is, in fact, not the case, what do you see in you airport menu when you have it on?

3. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

i see the Linksys in the menu and i just called applecare...and they walked me through the setup for airport... but now my problem is... my internet is still not working! Linksys told me that i have to call back applecare and tell them that my router is default as channel 6, SSID is linksys, and WEP is disabled. I dont even see anything in the networking setting like that?!?! This is ridiculous... i have been callin both places now.... HELP ANYONE!! PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ :(

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i can may help you, i need more details though. you see it in the menu bar, you acces and then what, what is going wrong.

iJon

5. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

HELPPPPPP anyone!!! this is horrible already... nothing is working...

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-SasyBabe

Ok. let me get this straight, you can access the router wirelessly now right?

Well, your halfway there.

Now you need the router to talk to the ISP, this is important: are you using DSL or Cable?

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

How many times have I heard that.... :)

OK here are some questions that if you answer them we can help you.

1. Do you have your PC's working on the internet through the Linksys?

2. Do you have DHCP enabled in the Linksys? (There are multiple ways to tell and if you are not sure, post and we will tell you)

3. Can you access the linksys's web configuration from your powerbook?

4. Can you plug your powerbook into the Linksys and get internet?

5. (If 4 is yes) Do this for us... First make sure you are next to the linksys. Then, go to your applications folder on your hard drive. Then double click the utilities folder. Once there find a program called Terminal. Double click that and you will get a window with come text in it. Type the command ifconfig. <Press return>
    Then highlight the text that it produces and copy it under the edit menu. Then paste it into a post on this thread. The ifconfig command will tell us all of your IP information behind the linksys. We are mainly looking to see what the ip address is of en1 which is your airport.

This is my ifconfig of my properly working airport....

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::230:65ff:fe07:ad8c%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet 192.168.1.60 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 00:30:65:07:ad:8c
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect

This will tell us if the airport is getting an IP and if it is active. If both of these are good then the problem must be located in the router. I am using a linksys wireless router in my office here. At home I use a D-link. They work great for me.

Oh, I just thought of...

6. unplug your networkcable (so you are wireless and in that terminal window type: ping 17.254.3.183 <return> This will try and test a connection between you and apple.com. You can subsitute the numbers with apple.com, but if your DNS settings are wrong the ping will fail. You should get a response from the ping that looks like....

64 bytes from 17.254.3.183: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=71.339 ms
    64 bytes from 17.254.3.183: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=66.878 ms
    64 bytes from 17.254.3.183: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=68.577 ms

If you don't then there is a problem with your router...

<Forgive all of the terminal stuff oh Mac guru's I am a PC guy by trade. ;)>

8. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

OMG!!! I just got my PB WORKING!!!! ITS A MIRACLE!!!! I cant believe it...i have been researching this for 24hrs now.... guess what my prob was.... i just needed to change the channel to channel #1.... the default was channel #6. After i did that it worked like a charm.... I'M USING MY 17" PowerBook right now to write this!!! i'm soooo excited! NOWWWW this computer is awesome!!! I recommend it to everyone!! :D

THANKYOU EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME!!!

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Or mabey check the channel.....

Glad it is working! I love my 15" TiBook. I plan on posting a switch story as soon as I have had it for 6 months. Enjoy the 17". I have set one up and it is nice!