Networking w/ XP Pro

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by efoto, Feb 14, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

I just recently aquired a PB and I am experiencing a few problems trying to connect it with network to my XP Pro box (to xfer personal files, music, etc.). I can see my computer on the network (through my apt. complex) and the first time I tried I could not connect at all. The second time I did but I only got three of the 'drives' to connect.

I went back to my xp box and checked the shares and they look fine (same user account on them all and the password is correct). I need to access a few other folders on another drive...but cannot seem to get to it.

Here is what happens:
    Click Network, enter proper workgroup, select proper computer, enter username/password, then "The Alias "MAESTRO" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." (Maestro is XP system's name). Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In finder, type APPLE-K and then in the server window smb://MAESTRO then click connect. Try this, no promises but sometimes I have trouble connecting through the finder windows too and this seems to overcome it well enough.

3. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I always like learning new things, that was neat. Thanks.

Sadly, it did not solve the problem as I got this message:
    "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://MAESTRO" could not be read or written. (Error code - 36).

Anymore ideas? That alternate approach was good for learning, sadly did not solve the problem. Do any XP Pro users out there see that as being a pc side issue opposed to Mac issue?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Every now and then, XP Pro resets my Windows firewall back to the default settings. This gives me that same error. I don't have Windows in front of me but from memory...

If you use the inbuilt Windows firewall (likely if you're running SP2) then go into the control panel, select the security centre, click on the firewall settings, the exceptions tab and then up the top there should be a printer/file sharing box. Make sure that's ticked.

Hopefully this'll get them working.