Networking, why do i bother. help please someone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azureus, Aug 26, 2006.

1. azureus macrumors newbie

right, i have just got a mac g3 with 256 ram. i need to network it with another pc. that pc is connected to another pc which is connected to my wireless network quite complex i know. i have managed to get a green light on the network status in the system profile. BUT i cannot connect to the internet, altough it says im connected (tried both safari and ie for mac). i hope i have made my self cler, im new to mac and need a little bit of help. im not sure if its hardware or software. so if any mods feel im wrong please stick this thread where it belongs.

thanks

azureus

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Are you talking about a network that looks something like this:

[​IMG]

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I cannot believe you actually found a *diagram* of such a ridiculous network setup! :eek: :D

I bow to you, oh master of networking craziness!

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Why do the two PC machines look like Power Mac 8600/9600/G3 machines? :D

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I second that. Nice find.:)

6. walshb6413 macrumors member

walshb6413

He probably made it - I cant imagine just finding it..

7. azureus thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

Yes it is exactly what my setup is like. i know it looks stupid but thats down to a lack of pci slots on my wireless enabled pc and a lack of funds to buy a hub. i have also tried connecting it directly to the wireless pc but still with no avail.

8. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I once had INTERNET->MODEM->ROUTER->POWERMAC(WIRELESS)->XBOX 360(WIRED) It works but I had to work for days to get all the IP addresses right.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are the other two PCs up and running?.....Are they configured to allow internet sharing?

since you got that type of set up and the wireless computer is the master there....do you have it up and running whiles trying to connect with your power mac?

Bless

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

11. azureus thread starter macrumors newbie

all up

all of the systems are up and running and i can connect to the internet from teh second pc. i can also share files from pc - mac which i didnt mention before. it is just the internet i cannot seem to configure. i have sharing enabled. i stillc ant get teh internet from a direct connection to the wireless pc. im probably just missing some settings somewhere but as im new to mac i just cant find it. as i said before its saying i have the internet but both safari and IEM cannot connect.

12. squirrelonfire macrumors member

This sounds very strange. My mac runs internet beautifully w/o networking w/ my PC which is connected to a wireless router which is conntected to a DSL modem.
    I think you just have to configure your wireless router so your mac can get a signal.
    Because I had my mac for 3 days now and it hasn't spoken to my pc at all, and I still get wireless.
    When i do networking wit my PC, i can't see any shared folders at all unless I turned off Internet security, may be your security software blocked your mac out.
    Hope this help