Networking Win XP with OSX 10.4.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sacohen, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Sacohen macrumors newbie

Ok. I've got the co,puters seeing each other, but when I access the Mac system from my XP box I can only see my master drive. I would like to be able to see the slave drive and the firewire drives.

Is this possible and what needs to be done to do it.

I read something about editing your smb.conf, but could not find any information on how to do this.

Thanks;

Steve

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. Sacohen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks;

That program did exactly what I wanted it to, but is there anyway to do it without extra software?

Thanks again;

Steve

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

From what I understand, that program is just a front end to the SMB.CONF and other config files, so you could probably look around your /etc directory, see what it did to the files, and then modify future files by hand. :confused:

Glad it worked though. :)

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's likely only smb.conf needs to be modified. It's a lot like OS X's firewall - there's a lot more power under the hood than what's available via Apple's GUI.

I'd suggest making a copy of smb.conf before messing around with anything; then go to Samba's website and work your way through the documentation. Really all you'll need to do is look at the docs for smb.conf though (available on the site).

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmm, I didn't catch anything there that helps with setting up additional Mac shares. :confused: