Networking win98 and OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nicnacs, Mar 6, 2005.

1. nicnacs macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2005
    I've seen the great post in this forum on networking and have tried but with no luck. Frustratingly I managed to get it to work a month or so ago but now have forgotten what I did!

I have a PC running win98. I've assigned it an IP address of and subnet thing of
    I've shared My Documents as DOCUMENTS, full access and with a password.
    The PC is called PC and is in the workgroup WORKGROUP

The mac is running OS 10.3.5 and I've assigned it an IP address of with the same subnet thing as the PC.

I can't ping the mac from the PC - it tries and fails.

Using connect to server and typing in smb:// gives the error message "Finder cannot complete because some data in smb:// could not be read or written. Error code -36"

I figure I've forgotten something obvious, but I can't think what. Anyone got any suggestions?

What's so annoying is that I've networked them before to transfer all my files from old PC to shiny new Mac and then forget everything as I didn't think I'd need to do it again. Doh!

2. rogerw macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2004
    west sussex UK
    personal file sharing on?
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Personal file sharing is Mac to Mac. You want "Windows Sharing" in the Sharing Preference pane.
  4. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
  5. nicnacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions - windows sharing is on. And if you mean I should try a cross-over cable instead of a cat 5 cable, well I'm using the same cable I used a few months ago to connect the two machines!

Pants. I just can't believe I managed to do it a few months ago and now can't. I'm soooooo stupid not to have written down in more detail what I did. Ah well. I shall have to resort to copying everything onto floppies (as the USB drive doesn't work on the PC) and then taking them to work, putting them onto a memory stick thing and bringing them home....oh the joys of computing!

Thanks anyway.
  6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
  7. nicnacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2005
    Yes I've taken a look at that guide and done everything it says! I'm beginnning to wonder if it's a hardware issue - maybe the ethernet cable or socket on either machine isn't working. I need to do some testing I guess. Not sure how I can test the ethernet cable on the Mac as I don't have another device to plug into it. The one on the PC says it's working fine.

Hey ho...
  8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Do you have SMB enabled and configured with "workgroup"?