networking wireless and ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Feb 25, 2007.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello good mac people,

i have been networking my mac and my windows pc.

both use wireless to access the net.

however i use ethernet to connect them to each other.... i thought i had a handle on this but apparently i don't...

-how do i connect the mac and the pc to each other through ethernet, to share files/synergy/etc... while still having them access the net through wireless?

thanks,
    r.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you using a hub/switch/router between the computers or just an ethernet cable?

If you aren't using a hub or switch, traditionally you would need a crossover ethernet cable to connect one computer to another without any intermediate devices (although I am not sure this is still that case).

Exactly what problem are you experiencing?

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no he doesn't need a crossover, his mbp (?) takes care of that.

Yes we need more info.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for your help...

no crossover cable, macbookpro hooked up with an ethernet cable to the back of my desktop computer...

the problem is that i can network the two, file transfers through shared folders etc, only when my airport card is active on my macbook. when i turn it off, and have the ethernet cable hooked up, there is no ability to network the two computers.

am i missing something?

thanks again,
    r.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you tried release/renewing DHCP on the Windows computer? It may not automatically be creating an ethernet connection when it already has wireless connection.

Although, quasi-relatedly, when I did this with two macs, I found that it did automatically configure a second connection, but it wasn't clear that it forced data through the higher speed connection without turning off airport. Maybe I need to try this again.

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

fixed! needed to install the ethernet driver (of course i forgot to do this when i changed the motherboard on the pc)!

thanks,
    r.