Networking with Linksys- ???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flyfish29, Oct 30, 2005.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I just purchased a linksys WRT54G wireless router and have some questions:

I need to use it with a PS2, a couple of ibooks and a wired iMac. It set up easily as I just plugged it in and it worked. I used this web page http://garrickvanburen.com/archive/how-to-set-up-a-linksys-router-with-mac-os-x to try and set up a safer network. However, I didn't know much of what to do once I got there. What is the best way to set up a network where someone can't surf without password access and someone can't tap into my network from the cable modem I am using?

I have the firewall set up on OSx for both the ibooks and iMac. I have allowed personal file, printer, and iTunes music sharing.

What else do I need to do? How do I set up a password access to the network? I tried searching the forums but didn't find much.

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Type in 192.168.1.1 in Safari, a screen should come up, type in

Admin: admin
    Password: admin

Then go to Wireless>

Wireless Secruity>

Securtiy Mode: WEP>

Choose 64 bit>

type in Passphrase>

Print out keys>

Then on the Wireless computers, type in one of the passphrase and make it part of your keychain.

Now, nobody can get into your network.

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Thanks for the reply- if I do this am I going to have a problem with the PS2 getting online?

Do I have to do this with each Mac I have?

What about my iMac which is connected by ethernet? Does this still cover that Mac?

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Don't believe that myth. Never consider your wireless network, regardless of settings, to be impenetrable.

If your PS2 supports WEP, then you're okay. The wireless settings will not affect any computers that are hardwired.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

1. I dont think so

2. You have to type the password in on every wireless mac, hardwired will not need a password

3. With a Password, it is much harder for someone to hach into your network, therefore, it will be hard for someone to get to your iMac. Remember: Your Password should be something that is not in the dictionary and that contains letters and #'s. Also, your iMac should require the OS password to access your data.