Networking with PC at home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by millerrh, Oct 28, 2006.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I've got a PC and MacBook Pro on the same network. With my old Powerbook, the shared folders on my PC would always be available for me to connect to in my Network Browser.

However, something strange is happening now. Usually, my PC isn't even listed in the Network Browser. But sometimes it will appear and then disappear randomly. When it does appear and I try to connecto to it, I get the following error. Does anyone know what might be going on? Some settings I don't have configured right?

Attached Files:

2. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Are you networked on a wireless connection? Just wondering if one of them is in the outskirts of wireless reception.

Also, are your settings the same as they were with your Powerbook?
  3. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I am on a wireless connection, but I also tried plugging it in and nothing was different. I have full signal according to my airport icon in the menu bar.

I am not sure if my settings were different on my Powerbook or not. That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out: what settings do I need to have to network with another PC properly. Even though in the past, I have always been able to find the network through my Network Browser, I also tried directly connecting like this guide says:

and that didn't work either. I'm thinking something is not set up right either on my mac or my PC. It should also be noted that while my Powerbook did work flawlessly at one point, the last time I tried to use it, I couldn't find my PC for some reason. Maybe it's something screwy with my PC.
  4. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Here's the wierdest part...I can see my Mac and can copy files to it from my PC. But my mac won't connect to the PC. I'd really rather have it so that from my mac I can access my PC.
  5. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2006

I'm having exactly the same problem with my G5 and my PC laptop.

The same error with alias and yes, my PC can access my mac.

I also tried the guide above with no luck.

If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Maybe it's time for a Macbook.
  6. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Well, this is with my brand spaking new MacBook Pro. Maybe I'll just give up and only use the PC to Mac least that's working....
  7. andcraig macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    Use the connect to dialog and put in the ip address of the PC

i've had this same issue crop up and doing this tends to work.

the shortcut is apple-k. then smb://<ip address of PC>
  8. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Tried it multiple times already. This is what that guide I linked to earlier says to do. Here is the error I keep getting. I get the same error if I just go to the ip address instead of trying to directly go to a shared folder.

Attached Files:

9. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    On your PC you have to manually go in and make whatever folders you want to acess "public" or somethign or another give me a couple seconds. Its a lil different but same concept please hold :)

How to make folders on your PC "shareable"
    1. Find the folder on your PC
    2. Select the folder and Right Click and go to Properties
    3. Click the Sharing Tab
    4. "Share this Folder"
    How to connect to the shared folder on your mac--
    1. Finder than Conect to Server "apple key+K"
    2.Click Browse
    3. Click Network on the left
    4. Wait a few seconds till you see your computer name on the right
    5. Click on the name and than click Connect on the right
    6. Type in your username and password for the comptuer if you have one
    7. Select the folder that you want to access after making it "shareable" on your PC

now you should see that folder on your desktop!

This is on my Win2K system so adjust if the 1st part if you need it on XP shouldnt be to difficult
  10. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Yes, I know. You have to right click, go under Properties, click the Sharing tab and make sure that "Share this folder on the network" is checked.

It is.

I think something bigger is messed up because I have done everything that everyone says and it still doesn't work.
  11. mooncaine macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2004
    Have you ruled out the possibility that firewall software, even that which is said to be built into Windows XP, is blocking your PC from responding to requests to connect?

I say 'said to be built into' because I haven't actually used XP, so I'm not sure what it's called or if it's enabled by default. My last Windows install has been Windows 2000, which continues to work, so I didn't buy XP to upgrade it. That machine's on the home network. Haven't even booted it in, hmm, must be 6 mos. now.
  12. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    Is Windows Sharing checked on your Mac? Might help but im not sure...

Mae sure on the permissions "Everyone" is checked on your PC..
    and definatley check the firewall on your PC or even your router...:confused:
  13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The name and password you use to log in have to be the PC's name and password which has priviledges to that folder...
  14. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Firewall is configured correctly - see bottom line in the attachment.

I haven't even gotten to a part where they are asking me for user names or passwords. Just error -36's.

Attached Files:

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Is your Mac on the same Windows Workgroup as your PC?

To check to see what Workgroup your Mac belongs to:

1) Navigate to Applications->Utilities
    2) Open Directory Access
    3) Highlight SMB/CIFS and press Configure
  16. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Yup. Same workgroup. What's also interesting is even when it's not configured like this, the Network Browser actually seems to find my PC network and I can "connect" to it that way...were it not for the problems mentioned here.
  17. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Have you tried rebooting the PC? I had this problem occur a few months ago and a PC reboot fixed the problem. Not 100% sure why the problem occurred, but I figure it has something to do with the router. The PC was a laptop with a wireless card, and I was trying to connect to it from my wired Mini. Got both errors you received and a PC reboot seemed to fix it.
  18. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I have tried rebooting both Mac and PC. Same problem happens. At least I can talk to my Mac via my PC, so I can trasfer all my files that way. I just wish it were the other way around.
  19. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2006
    I had the same problem -- I started a thread about it here. It turned out to be a problem with permissions on the Windows side of the network. I wrote:

Hope this helps.