networking with xp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pake, Sep 19, 2006.

1. pake macrumors regular

hi everybody
    I have a printer connected to an xp computer that is connected trough a router to my mac. I can share files via IP with that PC (finder go>connect to server and then I type the IP), I could never made them appear on the same network, although they have the same workgroup and the same submask. I should see the PC on my mac. I don't know what else I can try.
    In the "more printers" dialog of printer setup utility I cannot see my xp computer, so I cannot select the epson printer as every instruction indicates. So I guess if I solve my network issue I will be able to print to that PC.
    I have found some works around it, but they require the xp cd that I no longer have and are far too complicated compared to how easy it should work.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing enabled in the Sharing pane of the Mac's System Preferences? Also, maybe try installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC to get the printer working. :)

3. pake thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

I made everything you told me. But, unluckily it hasn't worked. Now that I share the mac computer I'm able to see it in the network side by side with the xp, but only in the xp computer, I'm now able to share printers connected TO the mac. This proves me they are in the same network. But nothing the other way around: I cannot see the pc on the mac, and thus I cannot see the shared printer in the more printers dialog, what's also funny is that in that same dialog I can see my computer again, but not the PC.
    I tried bonjour but it's for windows connecting to printers, not sharing them.

Thank you very much for your help. Has anyone any idea of what is going on here?

4. tomas1601 macrumors newbie

Did you run the windows wizard to set up a home network (use the gateway option) and enabled file and printer sharing?

5. pake thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did. I was looking more now and discovered another network option in properties of my pc, somehow I can see now the xp computer trough network in the finder and in the printer setup utility. But now, I'm presented with a dialog box, when I double clic the computer's icon. It's a dialog asking me for a passport for the printer "other computer's name". The strange thing is that no passport or username is correct; and I mean no one, I have even tried different combinations, leaving it black, etc.
    In the Finder I can see an alias of the xp-computer and when I clic the usual "connect"; I get a message telling me the original file is not found, and i have the choice to fix the alias, but since the object is another computer, I cannot do it.
    Via the go>connect to server I also need to type a passport but it has always worked.

Anyone has any idea, please?

thanks in advance

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hhmmm...odd your having problems, I got my G5 on a network with my Windows XP Pro, 2 Windows XP and the Tivo.... ill read over what you did agian to see if i can point anything out.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe look through this networking guide to see if there's anything you may have accidentally overlooked. :)

8. pake thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.
    Yes I have exactly the same as that network guide. As I say I can connect to the xp-computer via the finder with smb//192.168.1.130/... and I can see my home folder under network in windows. But oddly I cannot connect to the xp-computer with network in the finder, it appears but i get a message telling me the alias could not be opened because the original file could not be found. And I cannot connect to printers shared by the PC, once I double clic or clic "choose" in printer setup I get a dialog asking for a username and password, and no existing password works: "unable to connect to server with the provided password and username. /error 256"

It's starting to be very strange

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... It's a long shot but try changing your password on the PC.