Networking Woes! Can't share!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dogus1, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dogus1 macrumors newbie

I am attempting to setup a home network using my Powerbook (Panther) and three other PCs using Windows XP.

I need some help! As it stands, my Powerbook shows up on the Workgroup under Windows XP, but it seems there is no "shared" directory for sharing files back and forth with Windows users -- I understand that I am supposed to provide the Windows users with my network address and account id, but then it seems to give them access to my entire home folder, which is not my desire!

Also, when I look under Network on my Mac, I can see the other computers, and I can also see my Mac, but when I click on the PCs, I cannot access the same folders that two Windows user could access back and forth. For example, while I can "mount" the SharedDocs from a Windows PC, I cannot mount the iTunes folder which has been enabled "shared" in Windows.

I have fiddled with Panther as much I could figure, using Finder Help, etc -- "Windows Sharing" is on, etc.

Basically, the situation is pretty frustrating and hardly fluid. All I want to do is let people take music from my Mac at will, and vice versa.