networking. xbox. mac. internet. airport.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucface, May 28, 2005.

1. lucface macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2005
    so heres one for ya;
    i have a modded xbox that i network with my mac. i usually have it set up like so:
    modem to router
    router to pc(Room mates), router to switch.
    switch to xbox, switch to powerbook.
    all cat6.
    my computer and xbox both got internet wile being able to network with eachother.
    the reason i used the switch is because i would normaly need a crossover to network them (for ftping and tunelling software used to connect me to other xbox geeks so we can pick our noses and play halo online for free). but i wouldnt have internet acsess at the same time(on my xbox and mac) without it [switch].

i moved. and i upgraded powerbooks to one with airport. i got an airport xpress base station as well.
    airport xpress doesnt have physical eathernet ports out, like the more popular "airport xtream base station" does. it onely has a wireless signal.

i have it set up now like so:
    modem to router.
    router to pc, router to airport, router to ....?

i wired a cat6 to my room though the wall (the modem is in another room). and i have my switch ready to go. i know if i plug in my laptop to the switch and my xbox into the switch that everything will work fine.
    i want to utilize my airport equipt powerbook.
    i want to set it up so my mac can be anywere in the house, be online, and still be able to comunicate with the xbox (crossover syle). wile the xbox is online.

whats up guys, can it work?
    i think so, i just dont want to go mess around with it and get really frustrated untill i know its posable. well, not if ii dont have to.
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I don't know, but I do know that CAT-6 wiring is just high-quality CAT-5e... there is no official CAT-6 standard yet. Linkety So it is just nice CAT-5e.