Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
Hi everyone. I have got two Macs. An iMac G4 and a PowerBook G4. I am thinking of networking them but I have heard that I will have a problem. This is because I run Mac OS X Tiger on both of them but when I bought the operating system I didn't get a family pack because I wasn't quite sure what it was at the time. If I connect them will it mess up my computers.

Thanks.

P.S. I have just got broadband and got a NETGEAR router. I think it is something called the 108 MBPS Super. It's something like that anyway; but it keeps stopping working for some reason. The lights on the front of it all say everything is fine but when I try and get web pages on my PowerBook it just doesn't do anything. It doesn't say anything like "You are not connected to the internet". If it helps at all so you can help me, I didn't use an installation CD. I just turned it on, it recognised ADSL was installed in the house and then I went on this website it mentioned in the manual. The web address looked a bit like and IP address. Thanks again.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If both computers are running tiger, you shouldn't have any problems, the 'Tiger Family Pack' is just a way to get several licenses at a cheaper price. Other than price, it doesn't affect anything.

That "website" you went to, what did it look like? Was is a control panel for the router and network settings? Has your router ever worked?

If you can, take back te Netgear and buy an Airport Express, it is much easier.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
EricNau said:
If both computers are running tiger, you shouldn't have any problems, the 'Tiger Family Pack' is just a way to get several licenses at a cheaper price.

That "website" you went to, what did it look like? Was is a control panel for the router and network settings?
If you can, take back te Netgear and buy an Airport Express, it is much easier.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that the op is asking if its an issue that both comps are using the same license for tiger. in my experiance, there shouldn't be a problem when they're networked....not sure though, as the setup i'm used to working with uses access points, not one router...good luck!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
asherman13 said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that the op is asking if its an issue that both comps are using the same license for tiger. in my experiance, there shouldn't be a problem when they're networked....not sure though, as the setup i'm used to working with uses access points, not one router...good luck!
I see. If both computers are using the same license, I would think as soon as both logged onto the internet you could have a problem. Because it's illegal...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I doubt Mac OS X will self destruct or that Apple Security officers will show up on your doorstep if you network your Macs, but MacRumors policy is to avoid assisting with unlicensed use of software.

I strongly suggest that you get yourself a second copy of Tiger rather than use the same single license on two Macs, whether you network them or not.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
The website is the router setup. following the replys above, should I go for it or not connecting the computers? I really don't want a broken computer. And my router does work. it just randomly keeps dropping the connection.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
jamescwarren said:
The website is the router setup. following the replys above, should I go for it or not connecting the computers? I really don't want a broken computer. And my router does work. it just randomly keeps dropping the connection.
Your computers, are they running the same license for Tiger?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I think the single licence of mac os x should be a home licence for up to 3 macs and there should be a business one for up to 10 macs. Even if that bumps the prices up. I don't know of anyone who buys more than one copy of tiger for their computers.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
To clarify the license question:

The single user version ($129) is for a single computer only.

The family pack ($199) is for up to five computers in the same household only.

Apple doesn't have any sort of activation key system like many others have (Adobe and Microsoft come to mind.) So, you can run Tiger just fine on both of your computers. You are in breach of your license, but there are no ramifications to the operation of the computer(s) in question.

I have no idea how to help you with the router with the description given. Could you post some settings? An install or setup disk isn't necessary to get the router started, but knowing what your settings are is pretty important.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
I think now that the problem with my router isn't actually anything. It could possibly just be the phone line. I'm not 100% sure but will check it out. And if you say so, I will try networking them.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
epepper9 said:
I think the single licence of mac os x should be a home licence for up to 3 macs and there should be a business one for up to 10 macs. Even if that bumps the prices up. I don't know of anyone who buys more than one copy of tiger for their computers.
I think they should sell them in ALL quantities, with a rapidly decreasing price per copy as the quantity goes up. Until they do, I buy family packs and I'm rather lucky that we have exactly 5 Macs in the household.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
We have a volume license at work but only install from one Tiger DVD. Yeah, I've installed Tiger from that DVD on about 15 Macs. I've been told we have a volume license but I just don't get how we enforce it on Mac OS X.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
epepper9 said:
I got the Tiger family pack... and we just have two Macs...

What I don't like about Apple's licences is that one user cannot use one licence on two Macs that you are the main user of (like a desktop and a notebook maybe one at work and one at home), Adobe and even Microsoft lets you do that.

But I would be mighty p***ed if all Apple licences became volume licences. If I just need one licence for myself what's the point of paying for 3 or 5 users.

To the OP: Your Macs will talk just fine. Just get a family pack next time you want to use the same software on more than one Mac...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
What I don't like about Apple's licences is that one user cannot use one licence on two Macs that you are the main user of (like a desktop and a notebook maybe one at work and one at home), Adobe and even Microsoft lets you do that.
Windows lets you install a copy on more than one computer? :confused: :eek:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I brought 2 copies of MS Office Student and Teacher for our company ( a non-profit arts company) which runs 5 iBooks.

Each package comes with 3 serial numbers, which you can tick off when you use them.

MS guidelines say you can use one for your school/ work computer, one for the home computer, and one for the laptop.

We were advised by the local Apple store (before purchasing) that it was legal for us to use all 3 serial numbers in our office as we were a non-profit company.

Hope that helps some of you, as it was a really massive saving, about 80% of buying 5 copies of the full MS Office.

..RedTomato..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.