networks don't carry bush speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 24, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i must say, i was absolutely shocked to find none of CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox carrying the speech. only channel 11 in chicago, the public TV station, carried it live. i've never seen that before.

from here
    but from the post
    not sure if non-chicago fox stations carried it; in chicago, they were showing the Swan.

who wants to bet this story'll show up on ATC (All Things Considered) tomorrow?

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. Steradian macrumors 6502

Interesting, I watched it on Fox....maybe it was just one of those things...

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Ironic...

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

how so?

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Only NPR and Fox carried it. Yin & Yang.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

gotcha.

the irony i see is that the profit-driven major networks (it's sweeps weeks) chose to pre-empt a presidential address. an odd sort of reverse-censorship. iow, is it news if it doesn't sell?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's why there are five (?) more.

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    In the UK the coverage on this matter was split half on content of the speech and half on the lack of State-side coverage in the media. The jury is still out on whether it will have the desired impact on the polls.

11. diamond geezer macrumors regular

I'm told he didn't say anything new or exciting, maybe the networks knew this would be the case.

No one wants to watch repeats.

Except maybe Sienfield!

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Unfortunately, because of the time difference it didn't mess with network programming out west. We had him on all channels. :(

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Following live coverage of President George W. Bush's 31-minute May 24 speech on U.S. policy in Iraq, during primetime, at 8 p.m. (ET), MSNBC, CNN, and FOX News Channel devoted the remainder of the hour to analysis and commentary.

On MSNBC, host Chris Matthews anchored a special edition of Hardball, which began an hour before Bush's speech and continued afterward. Following Bush's speech, Matthews switched to a lengthy interview with Senator Joseph Biden (D-DE), the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, offering a Democratic view. Biden was followed by Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA), giving a view from congressional Republicans.

On CNN, host Paula Zahn anchored an abbreviated form of her show Paula Zahn Now, headlined "Special Edition: Countdown to Handover." After canvassing CNN White House and Pentagon correspondents, Zahn featured an interview with former President Bill Clinton's Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who offered a Democratic view. Albright was followed by Joe Klein, a regular contributor to Zahn's show and a Time magazine senior writer, and then by an exchange between Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell and Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), the former vice presidential candidate.

The lineup on FOX News Channel was strikingly different; no Democrats were heard from.​

http://mediamatters.org/items/200405250002