Networks spyware and a question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by b0tt094, Sep 30, 2006.

1. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

I got a question about networks. Im thinking about hooking my PC and mac together and use the Pc as... an external Storage unit but i think it may (by may i mean ya it does) have have spyware and maybe a few pc viruses... now heres my question If i connect them will my loner PC give my Kick ass mac :cool: viruses?

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

No. Windows viruses can not run on OSX, not sure about spyware but I believe that it is also OS dependent. However if you connect a computer to the internet that you know is infected you will be spreading viruses. If you are only going to use it for storage, run Linux or at least reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

It should also be noted that if you have a laptop, and use it in the method you just described, it is possible to pass the viruses, even on a Mac.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Im not understanding, How is a Laptop any different then a Desktop?

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I believe what he's saying is that the virus can lie dormant on a Mac i.e. OSX laptop, but if you should plug the laptop into another network (which happens rather a lot) it is possible for the laptop to spread the virus to that network.

6. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

ok thanks.. my dad works at a tech school so i get all my comp work stuff for free so I'll just have him wipe it.

7. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

If malware was to drop data onto the mac storage space, Windows on a remote machine would need to execute it. An executable will not run by itself. OS X will not spread malware around if you were to connect machines to a network.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sounds like the best option.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

In addition to what everybody else has said, make sure your Firewall is turned on under Preferences > Sharing.