Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirForceOne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Hi

I know this is probably a dumb question but I was hoping to get some experiences from folks who have been down this road and might do things differently, or could give me some advice they wish they had before they made an Apple purchase.

My first instinct is to just go to the local Apple store and buy the iPad 2 there, but then I was thinking maybe Sam's Club or Wal-Mart might be better for exchanging if I have issues.

If you had it to do over again, would you still buy your iPad where you did? If not, where would you purchase it now, knowing what you know now?

Thank you for any insight!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You should buy it wherever it is most convenient for you and gives you the best price. If there is a problem with it, the Apple Store will take care of it under warranty and/or AppleCare.

Just don't buy your iPad from a guy in a parking lot.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Going to the Apple Store is your best bet. You play around with what ever you are interested in before making a decision about buying. Good luck!

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
A couple of points. First, you cannot "price shop." Apple doesn't allow it. You may pay a bit more for an iPad from someone other than Apple but unless you buy one in a parking lot that fell off a truck (NOT recommended), you won't save much, if anything, compared to purchasing from Apple.

You may find a less rigid or longer "trial period" from another retailer. And you might prefer insurance coverage available from another retailer. And, of course, if you have a relationship with a retailer that gives you rewards based on your purchases, you may benefit (slightly) there. Be careful, however, some extended trials or "buy back programs" specifically exempt products like iPads. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Best Buy.)

Unless there's a compelling reason to go to some other retailer, though, you're probably better off going to a store with folks who are paid to know the product well. Doesn't guarantee that they do, but unless you can find a tangible benefit from purchasing an iPad from a store that mainly sells phones or plastic lawn furniture, why not go to an Apple store, instead?

You can, of course, purchase an iPad online, even from Amazon. And you might find an on-line retailer that doesn't charge sales tax. Personally, I don't do that because I live in a state that depends on sales taxes in large part to give my family police and fire protection and educate my kid but ymmv.

One note of caution. Apple stores, like auto dealerships, set the prices of their accessories knowing that if you're already plunking down hundreds of dollars you may be less prone to resist spending $50 on an accessory you can match for much less somewhere else. Studies of consumer behavior indicate that in evaluating such accessories you're likely to compare their prices to what you're already spending rather than to the price at another retailer. In other words, convenience can be expensive.

AirForceOne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Hi

Yeah I wasn't trying to save money but was perhaps looking for a more extended return period, just in case. I read sometimes about the Apple Geniuses and how some can be a pain in the butt once in awhile. Just afraid I'll develop an issue and the Genius will refuse my exchange or something, whereas with Wal-Mart, Sam's et al., if an employee gives you trouble all you have to do is go find a different employee. :)

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that is anal and won't be happy unless my iPad is as perfect as possible(although I'm prepared for some light leak/bleeding). Just don't want any dust under the screen or bubbles in the glass or yellow streaks, etc..

I went thru three Moto Xooms because of bubbles in the glass and a dust speck, so giving the iPad 2 a shot. :) My eyes are forever drawn to dust/dead pixels once I see them.

Thank you for all the responses. I guess I'm leaning towards the Apple store. This being my first Apple product I might as well get the full Apple experience and see what it's all like.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
...Unfortunately I'm one of those people that is anal and won't be happy unless my iPad is as perfect as possible(although I'm prepared for some light leak/bleeding). Just don't want any dust under the screen or bubbles in the glass or yellow streaks, etc..

Definitely go to WalMart. I have friends who work at Apple Stores. :D

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I think going to the Apple Store is the best. I bought my iPad at Best Buy, but that's only because they were the ones who had stock at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.