Never Buying a Mac From CompUSA Again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by irishvic, Sep 22, 2004.

1. irishvic macrumors member

Sep 22, 2004
    Well I go in Sunday to purchase a 12 inch powerbook. The dude goes to the back and says they can't find them but he says they havea big shipment coming in tuesday and he's gonna putin an order for an extra one for myself. well today being tuesday i call to check avaialability and they say yup 3 in stock so i shyt then hi tail it over there. my dad and i go in want the mac and again they say they can't find them. around this time im wondering WTF. so we tlak to the managers and shes pretty stupid so that went nowhere and im here wondering where 3 macs went in less than 30 minutes. i decided to just have them ship my mac to my house rather have to deal with the store and missing products. moral of the story is screw compusa.
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    its unfourtunate... that one store and its idiots can give it there bad reputation... if i were you i would write a letter to compusa and tell them of that stores inadiqucy and how you wont be buying from them because of that one store (its a chain right not one store?)
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Nice. ;)
  4. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    I went to a compusa just outside boston and they were completely disorganized. I had to talk to the manager there but he was more ignorent than the rest of the staff I had talked to. Some compusas need to retrain their staff.
  5. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    heh. . . now you can see where the nicknamne compScrewSA came from.they just want to screw you up and waste your time! id order off of apples web site assuming there is no apple store near you.
  6. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I went to CompUSA once, talked to a guy about when the new imacs would be arriving and how the "same as cash" program they have works. He was very friendly and informative.

A few days later, I call CompUSA to ask if its possible to reserve and imac once they arrive, so I can be sure to get one before they sell out. The first person has no idea, so they tell me they will get a manager. The "manager", who sounds 10 years younger than the first girl (couldnvt been over 18) tells me its not possible, but recommends another method:

"You could ask a salesman to "hide" one for you on the floor." if that is a more professional and organized way than formally reserving one with my name :rolleyes:

I'll probably buy from there though, because their 0% financing sure beats apple's 26% financing :)
  7. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    When I was shopping around for a Mac, I call CompUSA. I really didn't like the answers I got. Some were fairly outrageous, others I felt like he was jsut stupid. I decided to drive the extra 1 hour to the Apple Store.
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    CompUSA has long been known for their style and grace. They have no sales people, only order takers. It's good that they've been challenged by so many other groups, including Apple.

I've never been able to get anyone on the phone because the phone menus are set up in a circle to avoid letting you talk to anyone, except when you know the extension.

The company has Apple equipment but rarely gives it reasonable space. The two stores here have Apple employees and yet, things are still minimised. I know that there are many more games available, including hybrid titles but they go out of their way to make sure you can't get them. When the 4th generation iPod arrived, it was shown around page 4 of their flyer with no note that it was new. When the HP version of the iPod arrived, it was on the front page with no mention of Apple.

I'm also surprised that many things are overpriced. iLife is $49.00, they charge $49.99. The Adobe upgrades are $169, they charge $199.99. Of course, they have instant rebates to bring the things back down to the price other stores charge and people are glad to get such a bargain. :rolleyes:

Still, I've bought a bunch of hardware at CompUSA, simply because it was unavailable elsewhere or cheaper there. It looks like my next floor model won't come from there because they no longer seem to offer 50 percent discounts.

If you go to CompUSA, be prepared to figure out things for yourself since they don't know and don't get paid enough to care.
  9. morkintosh macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2003
    why not just buy it from the apple online store then? after reading this thread I have to ask why any mac users would buy from compuusa at all.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    From what I have observed at CompUSA, wouldn't have purchased such as important item as a Mac before this thread. I would be afraid that they would have the latest Mac available. Prefer to have a relationship with a knowledgeable staff member at my local Apple Store.
  11. mowogg macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA

It's not just CompUSA. Pretty much everywhere you go, the retail experience is shoddy. The problem is margins. Most companies have cut out training, incentives and employee recognition efforts in order to cut costs. There are some exceptions (In & Out Burger is one) but for the most part the overall shopping experience is a poor one. I'm sure everyone has even heard complaints about the service at the Apple Store.
    I think that most folks accept this in return for what they (erroneously) believe are lower prices. There is an acceptance that NO customer service is OK (ATMs, pay at the pump, self-serve check out at Home Depot). It has gotten to the point where it is preferable to have no human interaction rather than poor customer service.
    Overall, it sucks. The Wallmart model of pushing price over service doesn't do it for me. I'd much rather spend a few penniess more and shop at Target where the stores are clean and the service is better rather than WM. If you want REALLY iffy customer service, you should try shopping at Fry's!
  12. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    Mac Rep

The Apple Rep at my local compUSA (South Town plaza, rochester NY) is excellent, probably because he works for Apple. He has always been able to find anything that I need. Where is yours?

It is unfortuate though.
  13. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
  14. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    I was always kind of partial to "CompUSSR" myself. However, the store I usually go to seems to be pretty good overall, but I don't tend to have special requests. I know what I'm looking for before I ever get to the front door - just in and out, Mission Impossible style. If they don't have it, I leave - although when I went in for Panther, they didn't have it on the shelf and I asked about that. Didn't have any trouble, they grabbed it from the back, or wherever they had a stack and that was it.
  15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Return Policy

Does CompUSA have a "no questions asked" return policy like Best Buy? I am still on the fence about a new 23" Cinema Display and would like to make sure it doesn't have stuck pixels, etc before I lay down that much cash without the ability to return it...
  16. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    at my store...they have this guy thats right, ONE guy at all times his name is steve (go figure) and he is very informative. But when he is not there. there is no-one to assist you at all. but if you accidentally step foot in the adjacent peecee laptop arena 3 guys swarm you with gay questions like...
    "you need any help?" "how is your day so far" and i tell them i need help with some mac related item, and the go there is some sweet pc stuff over there... forget them...
  17. BRM macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2004
    So. Cal
    When I got my iMac at CompUSA, it was only because of the Apple Rep at the store. Now that an Apple store has opened up in my city, I have never been back to CompUSA. I could live in that Apple store if they let me. :D
  18. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    The sales clerks at Comp USA are paid comission so beware.... They will push certain brands and products (especially Epson). I never can trust people on commission because you have no idea what their ulterior motive is.
  19. FunkyPurple macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in Uptown
    Their prices are often outrageous and most of the employees don't have a clue about anything...that's been my experience with them. I go elsewhere for what I need. :rolleyes:
  20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I would like to say that I too refer to it as CompUSSR.

As for the question, CompUSSR, will gladly return you your cinema display no questions asked, however they will be charging you a nice restocking fee to do so. 10-15% sounds about right. So if you have a spare $200 dollars to give them feel free.

Note: cinema displays can be purchased from, and returned to any local store, free of restockin charges. although they do charge for shipping now, which makes "renting" a display costly, man the days of free shipping, you could rent anything....
  21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    which one did u go to, the one where there is a bestbuy kmart, petco.....
  22. minkis macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    i as many others have also had trouble with them, i got lucky and bought my ibook from apple's website but i went in one right outside nashville to look for mini ipods and i didn't see any so i asked the guy if they had any in stock and he showed me to a 3rd gen regular ipod and i mentioned again the i wanted a "mini ipod" so he showed me to the other side of the store and showed me a 4th gen 20g ipod and i asked him once more and he wasn't sure so he disappeared into the back to ask someone then came back and said" oh i'm not sure if we have any mini ipods but if we do their in the back but i can go look for you if you want" this was also right after he wasted tnearly thirty minutes of my time in a tiny store trying to find a mini ipods so i said no thanks and just truned around and left. the moral of the story is avoid compusa at all costs.
  23. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

Sep 22, 2004
    and i had to purchase one at compusa because i live in el paso texas which is still in 1984 and my parents seem to bet here tooa s they refuse to put their credit card online, so ya im stuck between a rock and a hard place. but on a lighter note i recieved my mac today and by god im in love
  24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I dislike saying it, but the people at the Apple store seem pretty useless compared to the Apple reps. at each of the CompUSA stores here.

Thank goodness for competition.