Never ending folder...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by t300, May 20, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Everytime I reboot this same folder is open...How do I find out why this is happening and how to stop it? Thanks!

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

What computer do you have? What operating system are you running? Is it after you log in? Have you tried logging into other accounts? Does the folder close? Have you installed any new software lately? Are you up to date on all of your software updates?

This info could help us out.

JOD8FY

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I am running Panther...I have no users, only me...When I boot up Virex runs and this folder for Salling Clicker opens. All I have to do is close it and it never shows up again until a reboot. Yes, I am up to date on everything.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

Go into Home>Library>Preferences and look for a Salling Clicker preference file and delete it. The file will end in .plist
    Empty Trash

5. cjc343 macrumors 6502

a few things...

if ^ doesn't work, go to System Preferences > Accounts > *your_user_name* > startup items

if the folder is in there, remove it....

Now, create a new user, give it a name like "backup user" or "Backup Admin" or whatever you want to call it... this will be, as indicated, a backup account... If something seriously wrong happens to your account, you log into this account... Yes you are on a Mac, Yes it is rare that something goes wrong, but I have needed it in several cases (and it is usually the second thing the techs at AppleCare tell you to do, before that is deleting prefs...)

that's all...

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's assuming it's 10.3. If it's 10.2, you'll need to go to System Prefs > Login Items. Or just do a Find File search for "StartupItems" (no space).

7. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Panther is 10.3.... so the instructions are correct...

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I didn't say your instructions were wrong... I know he's using Panther. But if anyone had tried this under Jaguar it wouldn't be applicable. Just covering all the bases here.

9. cjc343 macrumors 6502

ok...I had translated it as being a correction to what I had said, not an addition, sorry.