Never enough RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PeteyNice, Feb 15, 2003.

1. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

So, I have a new (FW800) Dual 1.25 PM. It has a 1.2 GB of RAM (the 256 stock stick and 2 512 sticks I put in). Crucial is have a superb deal on PC2700 RAM right now. If I max'd out the RAM (~$180) or just went to 1.7 GB (~90) would I notice a big enough difference to warrant the money spent? I just use the machine for boring Internet tasks, MP3s and VPC (for Kazaa) and an occasional game (eagarly awaiting for CM4).

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i would leave the machine as you have it. with over a gig of ram, you are pretty much set, for the things you mentioned. save yourself the one or two hundred dollars you would spend on ram and buy a digital camera or something. btw, that's a nice computer you got there.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah leave it unless your doing a ton of muti-tasking (internet, gaming, music, and watching a dvd) you don't need over a gig of ram.

Casual gaming, and internet will not eat your ram.

5. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

For the simple, day-to-day kinds of tasks that your doing, you wouldn't see a huge difference performance wise. If your only using your machine for the things that you mentioned above, then I'm sure you could find another, more productive way to spend your money.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

how do i watch a dvd and play a 'puter game at the same time? ;)

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

\\

with extreme skill...

8. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Most games will "kill" the 2nd monitor so you'll only be able to use one.

Anyway... you have more than enough RAM for what you want to do.

Lethal

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yes tahts why its extreme skill. I run dual monitor and it pisses me off when I wanan run a game and IM at the same time and it kills my second monitor.....

and Yes, 1.2 Gb is enough.

11. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Well...

If you have the Money and Crucial has a special, it won't hurt to have your RAM maxed out. The amount you have is more than enough to do most tasks, but if it's cheap now and you can afford it, do it. RAM can go up considerably, especially if import trade gets weird.
    I just bought 1.5 GB for my QS since what was in it is kinda mixed and matched. I got it from Crucial just because I like to deal with them, and quality is assured.

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I contend that there is very little even a prosumer can do to warrant more than 1 GB of RAM. That's enough to do some pretty hot stuff in photoshop, and do some midlevel video editing. even if you have dual monitors, watch full frame DVD, browse the internet, and chat all at once, you aren't going to be very helped by this. i would be surprised if you got help in VPC, but that is probably the only remote possibility. If all you do is Kazaa, i would guess very quickly--no.

13. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

if all he wants to do is kazaa then - yes.

he must be running kazaa in VPC. more RAM for puter and VPC = good performance.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i can see this to a certain point, but 1.2 GB seems like more than enough to keep a TON of stuff in the RAM.

but i will say--it can't possibly hurt you, in an OS like OS X, and if you have the money... i would do it, myself, i think, if just to say, i have 2 GB of RAM lol. never know when you might suddenly feel like going out and buying Maya and trying some cool 3d rendering.

i would do the 90 dollar one, as spending under 100$ on computer upgrading makes it feel much cheaper.

but if you're in any way strapped for cash, this is not going to like double your system speed at all--but you knew that of course.

15. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Thats what I'm talking about- If you are taking your baby's food money, then, no. Don't spend it on more RAM. But if you have it and don't mind spending it, do it. If only for braggin rights. I personally like to know I can't upgrade any more in that department. Otherwise, I'll be price shopping for RAM every other day.