Never Gets To 100%

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by z.187, Oct 31, 2004.

1. z.187 macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hi I'm new round here, I have a G4 Tit. Powerbook and have had it for 6 months now. I usually work on the powerbook with the power adapter connected to it all the time, I also tend to put the powerbook to sleep only and not really shut it down. However, recently I have noticed that the battery/power bar on the top right hand of the screen only would show 98% and then it went down a few days ago to 97%. It would never go back to 100 or would it be fully on 100% as it was before. And this is when my powerbook is connected to the mains and not running off battery power. Can someone explain to me why this is, or does anyone have this exact same issue? Is it even an issue worth worrying about? Any help or info would be appreciated, thanks!
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I wouldn't worry about it. My iBook never seems to get passed 99% either.
  3. pinks macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    Nothing to worry about at all.

You could recailbrate your battery if you wanted. There is a document at Apple Support about doing this, but all you have to do is:

1. Unplug your PowerBook and drain the battery as far as it will go
    2. Ignore the warning window that will eventually appear to tell you to plug in AC power.
    3. The PB will soon go into a forced sleep mode.
    4. Now plug in AC and the battery will begin to charge - it should now charge up to 99%/100% again.

Hope that helps.
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I agree with pink -- nothing to worry about. If the maximum charge drops below 95%, I'd re-calibrate the battery per the instructions, but there's no reason to do it more often.
  5. z.187 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004
    Thanks everyone for all of your help, I did as you said and lo, behold it is back to 99% I just got worried cause I saw a topic in the Apple Discussion Board on their site and people were saying how loads of the battery chargers had problems. Thanks for the added info.

6. lazymuoio macrumors member

Jun 30, 2004
    New York
    its nothing serious but i would recalibrate it as afore mentioned just to be safe
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    It is fine. Anything between 95 and 100 percent is actually a full charge-- the computer always runs off of the battery and the battery is constantly being charged. Do not worry. Don't waste time re-calibrating. If it goes below 95 percent, then re-calibrate.