Never going to Disney World

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xli_ne, Jul 12, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I have never been there, but it doesn't really sound all that fun anymore...

Link

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hardly seems to be Disney's fault, could have happened anytime, anywhere.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's like saying you're never going to drive because people die in accidents.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Seems likely that she has some sort of previously unknown heart defect for this to have happened. I'm sure Disney has plenty of disclaimers on their rides to protect them.

It won't stop me from going to amusement parks.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Theme parks do have cautions at ride entrances saying that you have heart problems, pregnant, injuries, etc., this ride may aggravate those complications. She choose to go and take the risk. I have for one have been on that ride at Disneyland and I'm still here :)

Heck I was at Great America here in Northern California when a person fell to do their death from that Drop Zone ride - it could happen anywhere, regarding theme parks.

This could not have been Disney's fault as Disney had no way to tell that she had heart problems.

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I was just going to say that

fyi its up to 44k deaths per year (2002) associated with driving/moter vehicles.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And me without my wings :eek: .

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

(emphasis mine)

you mean they can make you MORE pregnant?

mother-to-be: "I swear when I walked in I was only expecting one. I can show you the sonogram. As a minimum Disneyworld should give me a cruise and life passes for the triplets!!!"
    :D

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well I don't know about that :p

But I just remember the list and pregnancy was one of the things and I think they use "aggravate" as a term in explaining that the ride could hurt the complication/handicap.

10. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Given the stats for obesity/lack of fitness in the UK's youths, she might have had high blood pressure and not known about it.

I certainly hope they remembered their holiday health insurance details :eek:

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Many people look at the health warnings and say, "Hey, it's Disney. How bad could it be?"

I worked at Epcot in '95-'96 when the first rendition of Alien Encounter opened at the Magic Kingdom. It was the first of several "more intense" rides that Disney started going toward. I was really shocked by the parents who would look at the signs that say "This ride may be frightening to small children", and ignore them or figure their kid is more grown up than the next kid. I'll never forget sitting next to an 8 year old who screamed her head off the whole time. I don't think my hearing has been the same since.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The rides really aren't that exciting. The Orlando traffic is enough to scare anyone awake.

I'm afraid that, if you're concerned that DisneyWorld is a problem, you're going to find that you'd better not step outside the house. However, your technology could put you at risk, especially if you have a natural gas line in your house.

Eating and drinking are also dangerous. Please wear gloves and safety goggles while cleaning with bleach or ammonia or other harsh chemicals. Never use electric products or water during a thunderstorm.

The list goes on and on.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Holy crap, I was watching Mythbusters this past weekend, they hooked Buster up to a phone and sat him in a shower during a simulated electrical storm... I sure wouldn't want to be doing either of those things after watching their results with something like 1/10 of the power of a lightning strike!

15. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I love mythbusters although they are not as scientificatly thorough as they should be, especially how soon they 'bust' some myths

16. Shasta macrumors member

I <3 Google... this was so well placed

Carry on

Shasta

Attached Files:

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers are with the 16 year old British teenager and her family. Hope that she will make a full recovery. These accidents happen. If there is a problem with the ride, then Disney will correct the problem. It doesn't sound as thought Disney is at fault. Prior medical problems can exist and then not show up until the body is put under stress. This also occurs with teenager during sports.

18. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Heh at least I can fly! :p

(Flying) llama :D

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Whenever I went to Disney World, I never rode the Tower of Terror, mainly because I was 6... :rolleyes:

Whenever you do anything you are at risk for an accident. They happen, and it really shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying themselves...

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Alien Encounter was awesome. Too bad they replaced it with Stich's Great Escape. I'd rather get licked by an alien than farted on by Stich :( I was told during a Magic Kingdom tour I took that Eisner hated that ride and that was the reason it was being transformed into Leo & Stich.

I do agree however that parents ignore warning signs at DW. I remember being 3 or 4 and riding some boat ride at Epcot where bears and trolls were trying to get us. Sad. My parents should have known better ;) I wish I remembered the name, I don't even know if it's still there. :(

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, the Norwegian ride is still there. It's one of the better things for 7 or 8 year olds in Epcot. :)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I agree, they're not always as thorough as they could be. And sometimes you find out that they could have just asked some experts and gotten the same results their tests did, which in the case of the lightning one heavily reinforced their expirements. You do NOT want to be near any path electricity takes from the sky to the ground, be it on the phone, in the shower, or any other similar situation.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Often they do end up asking experts. But asking experts misses the whole purpose of the show. Its about building things that work/fail in a spectacular manner. Its more about chaos and destruction than science.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol.. indeed. Wish I had access to their workshop...

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Or their job. I get paid to break stuff. Well that and play with ballistics gel.