Never let those monkeys at RAC anywhere near your car.

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Sep 8, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Windscreen replaced yesterday, now look at it, while driving back from the station bits start to fall off. I'm absolutely fuming!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[​IMG]

*runs of with hunting knife toward any RAC center in walking distance*

And to top if of the prat at RAC is trying to tell me it's not even their fault!!!! Also the guy at the RAC call center that answered the phone reckons he is the manager, yeah right, because managers are always answering call center phones aren't they.

I'm gonna go burst a blood vessel now.

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

that is pathetic let em have it, good choice of the huntimg knife to it hurts more than lead

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Looks like they broke all the fixings getting it off and tried to glue it back on with mastic to me.

I'd get that assessed at a Dealer and then go after the RAC for some compensation.

Been with the AA for 20 years, at least stuff doesn't fall off... :D

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Problem is, I need the car tomorrow. Time to get back on the phone and do some more shouting I think...

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ohhhhh yes, shouting..... I like shouting. :D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is a good time to sit down and write a harsh, but fair letter to the RAC Main Office to tell them what happened and how you will never go back to them for servicing. You will also never recommend them. That should hurt. Don't even say "Thank You" or "Sincerely" at the end of your letter. That ought to show them. Letters are always an effective way to get your point across.

Unless they throw it out.

Or just ask them what they would do if they went to get their windshield was replaced, and then bits of their car was falling off. If they stand there and don't know what to say, you know you got'em.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

that's terrible!!

here in the states we have a 'better business bureau' to go after companies that try to pull crap like that... do you have something like that in england that you can report to? :confused: :(

9. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I've been told by someone I know 'in-the-trade' that AA and RAC staff are rather hit and miss. Infact, his words, 'I'd rather have a blind monkey repair my car than them morons'. Tough break on the Mini edesign, hope it gets sorted. Keep us posted.

10. Maxicek macrumors regular

How old is you mini? Aren't you still covered by the mini recovery?

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3 1/2 years, no mini recovery :(

12. mpw Guest

Sounds stupid, but how did you pay them?

If you've paid by credit card call your card company. Often they'll hold payment on your behalf, and it's amazing how much clout they have with companies.

If you're RAC and 90% of your customers (happy or otherwise) pay by CC you can't afford to piss VISA off. At the moment the RAC owe you say £200 while the RAC are owed ~£200,000 by VISA on behalf of people like you, who's got more power to resolve this issue?

I once spoke to a chap I know who was in huge debt and asked how he slept a night. He said if you owe a Bank £100 you're screwed, they won't try to help you, but if you owe them £100,000 they're screwed and will bend over backward to help.

He who holds the purse strings holds the power.

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It was done through insurance, so I just paid a £50 (in cash) excess charge :mad:

The more I speak to these people the more annoyed I get.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

AA have always been good to me. I've been with them 25 years. Do what the guy above said, get an estimate from a dealer ASAP and give it to the RAC with no comment. You could even hire a car for the trip and charge that, too. They haven't got a leg to stand on.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Been there. I was never treated so well as when I owed £1.5 million.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I had a broken windshield replaced once - it cost me $400 and the excact same thing happened. Mine was so poorly done that when it rained water leaked into the cabin.

I went back to the shop and complained, and they "re-glued" it for me, but upon closer examination I couldn't find any difference - they had simply tried to bullsh*t me. I ended up having to go to another shop and have the windshield removed and re-attached at my own expense. :mad:

Hopefully you can get things worked out better than I did. :(

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Explain to them that you will be changing to the AA and that you will encourage them (AA) to use you in their upcoming ad campaign to highlight the crappy service given by the RAC.
    Also point out that Watchdog would love the story.

Companies like this is one of the reasons I don't shop with the Dixons group.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would find the man's car and break his windshield.

Then I'd go back the next day and watch him fix his windshield to see if he does such a crap job with his OWN car.

19. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unfortunately it's an insurance job, RAC just happen to be the people Elephant use to replace windscreens. So I can't threaten to move to the AA, as I'm not even with RAC to begin with.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Send the bill to Elephant.

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Dont know if this will work with UK ins co's, but when my mom's car was repaired, they forgot to mix enough pearl into the paint, and she didn't notice til a week later (when i told her). She went back, and they tried to convince her that it was the same color. I told her to call her Ins co and complain. The repair shop called back the next day, saying they would repaint the entire car, and had a rental ready.

Long story, a bit shorter... call your ins co next if you haven't already.

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Already did that earlier, pretty ****ing useless they were too, weren't really interested in applying much pressure.

It's all driving me nuts.

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Persistence, nagging, and using up a lot of their time (at least 3hrs today) does pay off...sorta.

They're replacing the whole A-Trim on both sides and will come out to fit it at the weekend.

Woop-de-***ing-do.

24. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Which is slightly better than being slapped in the face with a wet fish but not much if you need the car (tomorrow). Can you harass them for a courtesy car?

25. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Wow, your ins co sucks. Dont they have a satisfaction pledge or something of the sort there? My policy specifically states that any insurance repair will return the car in a "showroom" condition. A glued on A-pillar trim isn't showroom condition.

at least they're willing to replace it after all.