Never thought this would happen :( Mac--> PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by VegetaPunk, Sep 6, 2003.

1. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I will still use my trusty 500mhz PMac Tower as my main computer but I need a new one for school (my comp doesnt run VPC fast enough to make it worth it (VB + JAVA programming 4 school) ) I am going to build my own PC that will be Really good for about about then 500 dollars

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU (hear it can be overclocked alot with stability)

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

Kingson 512mb (2x256mb) DDR400 PC3200, Model KVR400X64C3AK2/512

ATI RADEON 9500 128MB DDR

I want a G5 so bad but Im a student an 2600 + tax is too much for me... I will only get a tower - dont want a iMac etc. Why cant apple sell individual parts so people can build thier computer for less money.... I dont need a new keyboard or a new DVD drive, I dont need a new hard drive either Just the Mobo, The G5 and the Case.... anyways that my rant and I will always be a mac addict but I have to wait on getting a new one until I finish school and get a higher paying job which will be several years from now :(

2. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Never thought this would happen :( Mac--> PC

Because Apple's business is selling hardware. If they offered individual components for sale there wouldn't be an Apple for very long.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Just get a $200 Celeron eMachines PC off eBay. It will let you run those PC apps, and make you appreciate your Mac even more. :)

5. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

wouldnt it increase their hardware sales?? more people would buy the mobo + G5 and the majority of the current apple users would still buy whole systems because they like apples idea of simplicity. I think there would be alot of Windows people that would switch to the mac if they could get it this way.... I could be wrong but I like discussing matters like these

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I had the same problem. VPC is NOT a viable option. I really dislike Windows, but it's a necessary evil. I just built a cheapy out of stuff I bought on Newegg, and some spare parts I had lying around. Be carefull though, you get what you pay for. My last cheapy Windows box had A LOT of issues. This ones much better (though it's still Windows).

Linux was also not an option.

I would love it if Apple came out with a base line model. Like a headless e/iMac. It would be a great starter or "in between" machine. Great for switchers who don't want to spend too much on their first leap into the Mac world. Great for people who upgrade as they have the money. More expandable than the e/iMacs, but not as expensive as the Towers.

And no, not just a $1300 G4.

7. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

I too was looking at newegg I made a cart list and Im printing it out and taking it at frys, if there isnt a big price difference I will buy it at frys electronics, Its close to me and I will be able to return my stuff without shipping if I need to.

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

The title of this thread is misleading. Your'e not switching to PC, you're just buying a second computer that happens to be a PC.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

great buy, that will be an awesome gaming machine as well. although i hate amd it looks like a sturdy machine, if you dont know how to build your own computer find someone to help you or you will most likely screw up and become a pin bender.

iJon

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Does the $500 include the license for Windows? ;)

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

You are forgetting the logistics for such a model. Now, you have just created a whole new department at Apple to answer questions of making a new motherboard work inside of an old case, various esoteric system dependencies, software-hardware interactions, etc.

13. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Also, Apple profits greatly from the components that you would probably buy from someone else. An LCD, for example, on your iMac, that you could have gotten from Sony (albeit much less cool and certainly not as integrated), but can't because it's an all-in-one system. This kind of market control is *essential* for Apple. Absolutely positively panultimately important. It may in the end make it easier for consumers to not spend as much money (on them), but it also spells a big drop in Apple's profit margins. The G5 mobo, I would imagine, is something that Apple gets the least profit from selling.
    Monitors and RAM and the optical drive etc. etc. are where it's at.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was right in your boat close to a year ago. Got myself a 2.4Ghz p4. I've been very happy with it.

I have saved up a ****load of money and plan to buy a G5 soon. But now I'm thinking I should buy a dual 1.25GHz and wait for Rev. C G5s.

Or maybe just wait and buy a rev B G5.

Right now they are just a little over my price range.

scem0

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good luck, that'll be a nice x86 Windows system. I just built a new PC myself and am very happy with it. If you run in to any problems drop by these forums for help, they are both very good, and you will find loads of tips on O/C that barton ;) I would also run your motherboard and memory choice by these boards and see what they have to say, a lot of these guys really do know their stuff.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/
    http://www.pchardwareforum.com/

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LMAO! I'm sure it does, we all pay for our 'copies' of Windows...don't we??? :eek: :p :D

HELLO! KaZaA! XP Pro Corporate!

17. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

This could also have a great deal to do with why the Mac OS is more stable than Windows. Apple knows exactly what hardware their software is running on, because it was all made by them. With windows, they have to support all sorts of hardware in all sorts of combinations. It must be really frustrating actually.

18. Nutzoids macrumors member

I just started a post asking anyone if they did this yet? Built there own Mac Tower...I LOVE APPLE...but I can never afford the things I want...If there was a way I could save money and Build my own I would do it in a heartbeat. Plus you would see more MACs in the work place. If IT people could just buy parts and fix whats wrong that would increase there sales that way. Look at how big the customization of PCs have gotten over the years...For get PCs look at everyting. Video Games arn't any good if you can't customize...Also look at the world of automobiles...Fast And The Furious...both 1 and 2. Just think of the onslought of custom products they could sell. PC people take pride in there computer that THEY built! Come on Apple get into the game!

19. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Never thought this would happen :( Mac--> PC

Why not just drop a couple of hundred into a processor upgrade. The only noticable difference between a mirrored door and your tower is a 33 Mhz faster bus and DDR memory. If you plop a 1.25Ghz processor from OWC you should have a great tower without the costs.

20. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

You can build your own mac. It means getting parts as replacements or on ebay. The only ATX case compatible motherboard is the Gigabit ethernet or earlier. You end up saving money, but you will not have a top of the line G5 in it.

21. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

And people wonder why there are so many conflicts with hardware in windows that should be plug and play:)

22. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Apple uses ATA drive AGP slots and PCI slots PC100 to DDR ram what other replacement parts do you need.
    I have upgaded all macs that my family has owned. My children are using my moms old PM 6100/66 A/V with a G3 233 upgrade. I am going to upgrade my tower from a dual 450 G4 to a G4 1.42 Ghz and add a superdrive. I already have a usb card and a new ATI 8500 in the machine. You don't have to buy the parts from Apple if you know what you are looking for. and if any thing goes wrong claim ignorance;)

23. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the support about building a PC :)

Heres another idea apple makes it so you can just buy a mother board or G5 or case if you become certified (that way you only have to do it once and they wont have to answer alot of questions because you should already know quite a bit after passing the exams) Just a thought