Neverwinter Nights for Mac coming, finally

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tassilo, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Tassilo macrumors newbie

as seen on
    Inside Mac Games

MacSoft today announced that the Neverwinter Nights Beta Tech Demo for Macintosh will be made available to the public on June 17th through free download. The NWN tech demo will be available for download through our sister site, Macgamefiles.com.

The Neverwinter Nights tech demo requires a Macintosh computer with a 450Mhz (or faster) processor, 256MB RAM, 32MB video card, and 645MB hard disk space.

2. macguymike macrumors 6502

w00t.

That's SO going on my PowerBook. Portable NWN at last... even if its just a demo. :D

Let the bug (and orc) hunting begin!

3. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

This is great news! When I get my powerbook, eventually, I can actually play NWN with my friends. My current PeeCee can't handle it.

Too bad about the fact that the Mac version won't have developer tools included, so we can't create our own modules. That would have been fun.

Alia

4. macguymike macrumors 6502

Yeah. This has been a source of frustration for Mac users on the NWN Bioware message boards for a while now.

Maybe one day they'll port over the toolset. Maybe. :rolleyes:

I'm lucky enough to have a Windows comp to run it on (and actually being able to play NWN was one of the reasons I bought it), but I know most Mac people don't.

5. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

i just skimmed the linke and i was wondering.... is this a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER RPG or something like diablo 2 ?? and if its MMRPG then will we have to pay for the demo just to play?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man, its been this long and only in beat mode. if only we had directx. that does suck they didnt include the tools. my coworker developed a mod that was on techtv, pc gamer, reviewed by ign and the head developer of bioware, it was a top download too when it came out. if i ever got into that game i would have played it.

iJon

7. macguymike macrumors 6502

Well, you can still use all the same mods and haks (as well as DM adventures and access the NWN servers) for the PC version on the Mac version according to the FAQ on nwn.bioware.com so you could play your friend's adventure on your Mac. :)

8. macguymike macrumors 6502

No, the demo is free and no, its not a MMRPG.

Its more like Diablo 2 except much more robust and about 100 times more customizable. :D

9. job macrumors 68040

job

Wow.

That's amazing.

What next?

Pigs can fly?

Apple ships a PDA? The G5?

Aliens vs Predator 2 shipping?

;)

It's been a damn long time. One more thing we can take off the list of "Me wants.."

10. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

hmm. i'll have to go download this today then... anyone got any reviews?

11. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

12. macguymike macrumors 6502

Where did you see this? I just checked macgamefiles.com and the demo wasn't there yet.

edit: Nevermind.. found the info on the Inside Mac Games page. :)

Yeah, its twice as big as the UT2k3 demo, but I'm not surprised that NWN requires more HD space than UT as there are definitely more features to be included.

edit 2: I'm downloading the demo right now. D/L size is 240MB.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ha how about
    Duke Nukem: Forever

Or should I say
    Duke Nukem Never.

They Offically gave it a realease date: "Release Date : "When it's done". Simple as that. Also, ignore ALL release dates unless you hear them from us. This includes EB, Amazon or anywhere else. We will tell you when it's getting really close, and we will tell you when it's done. We promise." :eek:

14. Steradian macrumors 6502

well the mac games site has been slashdotted...poor poor servers...Hmm maybe next week I can get my game on...

15. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

hrmmm the zip file is only 3.8 MB... is it suppose to be like that?? and when it is almost unzipped, the unzipper utility freezes. When i click on what it has unzipped so far, it only says 51 MB! something is wrong here... definently wrong! Anyone help me?

-PS I downloaded from macupdate

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

17. macguymike macrumors 6502

File size should be 239.9_MB (which is what it says on Macupdate.com) and its not a zip file, it should be a .bz2 compressed disk image (.dmg) and open with Stuffit Expander.

18. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

but who cares? this is like uber-d2. much more personal in yo face biatch type stuff. hell, the whole d2 game was 2gb and that was because everything is 2d. imagine how big the FULL game is :eek: :D

19. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

lol yeah its like 4 CDs and a toolset. worth the hard drive space though, its a pretty amazing game.

and with so many different mods, its basically endless playablity.

IMHO its the best rpg and morpg ever. Probably will be until Bioware makes NWN2, but dunno how they could top it though besides just a new story and better graphics. if they got off of the D&D rules it would probably screw it up.

20. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

yay ;-)

if the req is 450 mhz, will it run on an ibook 900 ? as it has "only" sd ram, no l3 cache, and "only" an 7500 ?

Will it be possible to use the windows / linux version cd s ?

[edit]

added the 900

[/edit]

21. job macrumors 68040

job

I thought us Mac users were not getting the toolset.

22. macguymike macrumors 6502

I think it should run on your iBook, assuming you have at least 256MB of RAM.

23. macguymike macrumors 6502

As of right now, we are not. There is, however, a movement by some Mac gamers to develop an equivalent utility. Check out the Mac forums over at nwn.bioware.com for more info. :)

24. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

25. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

on my computer (specs listed in signature) it runs ok, but at about 10-20fps, depending on zoom level. i'm savin up for one of them new fangled 970's if they ever come out...