Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jason_Bryan, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I am about to spend some hard earned cash on a new game, well new for me, I know the two I have mentioned are old by game standards. I was a big fan of Baulders Gate and Icewind Dale so Neverwinter nights sounds like the right choice, but I have been told that dungeon Siege is better. Anyone played them both?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have both here NWN is a much better role playing game, much better story, etc. Dungeon Siege is way too linear I never found myself getting lost in it at all, and IMHO NWN is a much nicer port it handles the Apple ACD wide screen resolutions while Dungeon Siege doesn't. NWN just seems like a much much better game to me, just but it and be happy. :)

3. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Dungeon Siege all the way..... tried out NevNights but couldn't get into it's complexity. DS II due out this summer and is looking very promising so lets hope it will make its way over to the Mac community.

- Dal

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Neverwinter Nights of course, Dungeon Siege just sucks compared to it. NWN offers dozens of interesting free downloadable mods/adventures. Make sure you get the Dreamcatcher series, it's almost better than the original storyline. DS you play through in a couple of days and then it is over. Just one way, and you can't even buy the add on as it is PC only. So while DS kept me facinated for about 1-2 weeks, NWN I playd for almost 6 months...

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

P.s.: Why not World of Warcraft? It's way way way way 10000000 times better than both of the other two and well worth the few bucks every month!

6. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

I enjoyed both, but I'd lean towards NWN.

Neverwinter Nights has a ton of 3rd party content which is a big plus and last time I checked there was always a server to jump on if you wanted multi-player fun.

Dungeon Siege was maybe a little more fun single player (I like having the the extensive party control), but once you finished the adventure that was it. The expansion pack wasn't an expansion, just a new adventure that you had to start from scratch. Team play with it was very repetitive and quickly got boring.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Agree 100% - I actually removed every game accept WoW from my Power Mac earlier in the month since I can't see the point of playing any of them any more! WoW is the best game I've ever played.

8. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I have both and vastly prefer NWN. I do like the inovative "leveling" system DS uses, I have had more playing time and joy with NWN. I have not completed the OC, but have finished SoU, and am halfway through HoU. I have played many modules, and yes the Dreamcatcher series is very well done, as are several others. I have only gotten one "module" top run reliably on DS so I am not sure about its content quality, YMMV.

9. Jason_Bryan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies, my mac isn't powerful enough to play WoW, I would give it a go if it was. I thought about Knights of the Old Republic as well but that also needs a 1Ghz processor. I think Neverwinter Nights will probably suit me best as I like to problem solve and tinker with different character types.

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Neverwinter Nights, no doubt. It has a fairly campaign by itself, but the major thing is all the extra 3rd party content. You'll find tons of it on sites like The Neverwinter Vault. It's really a shame that the toolset haven't been ported to Mac. (I'll miss it... :()

Dungeon Siege was kind of fun, but I just got bored after a while. Never finished it...

(For reference I'm also a big fan of Baldur's Gate (especially part 2 ;))

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

If you liked baldurs gate, then neverwinter nights would definitely be the best for you. It's pretty much a sure thing that you will enjoy it. I has much more depth and complexity over Dungeon Siege, and it also has 2 expansions available, so that should keep you busy when you get tired of the main game.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

As has been said NWN has more "extra" stories that you can get off the internet.

But... I would look into getting the demos for them. I know NWN has a demo and Dungeon Siege most likely does also. Why not try em out yourself?

13. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

that depends on what you like in a game like these...

I have both. But I found Dungeon siege to be more fun, since NWN is far too complex for me to sit back and try to learn it...

But, Neverwinter Nights has better graphics... The choice is yours...

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Blizzard games have never really "Pushed the graphical envelope" so to speak, Diablo 2 never really taxed my system and i'm still playing it now.

The minimin Mac specs are a 933Mhz G4 and a 32MB Graphic card, as long as you stuff your machine full of RAM you'll be fine.

You do need 4GB of space to install with, but then you can leave the CD's in the box.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have Both NWn and DS
    NWN is much better for longer game play, DS get repetetive after a while, just a standard hack and bash dungeon crawl with pretty graphics but it is modable so for a quick game play DS, for serious gameplay go for NWN
    NWN = +120 hours of gameplay
    DS = 40 hours of gameplay
    If you like RPG's like BGII and IWD go with NWN

BTW KOTOR does work on a slower processor just fine, I used to play it on my 700mhz 16VRAM iBook with only a small lag

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

DS is for people who don't like to think too much; NWN is for people who like to think too much.

peace | neut

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's not innovative; Dungeon Master on the Amiga did exactly the same thing way back in the late '80s. However, it was cool then and it's still cool....

--Eric

18. James L macrumors 6502a

19. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

20. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I'm selling my copy of Neverwinter Nights if you want to pick it up for cheap.
    It's posted over in the classified section.

21. johnnowak macrumors 6502

WoW is boring IMO. No actual ROLEPLAY in a RPG? Who wants that? NWN is sort of crappy though, and DS is way worse. Stick with BG, and play the Fallout games if you haven't already.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Fallout is my favorite game ever ... second to Wasteland (PC only- this was the original inspiration for Fallout).

NWN is more true D&D; and BG is a nice twist.

peace | neut