New «Always-On» Mini PC

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Feb 17, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

What do you guys think of this computer.

—>_Click me to read full article <—

Extracts:

It seems to stand halfway between a laptop and a PDA.

I like the "secondary display and control unit" idea. It's on the back of the display. I could easily see a mini ipod like display and wheel embeded on the back of a powerbook screen.

Ok, it's windows, but for once I see cool features and ideas and not only useless gadgets and gizmos.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Cool idea for those that Windoz.

Even I would consider one from Apple. An iBook Mini. Of course we would have to hear how at $100 or so dollars less then the iBook Apple is nuts.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

What a cool idea! Oh wait, my 1Ghz TiBook does the same thing. ;)

I have to say the instant on ability of the Powerbook is one of the reasons that I switched. It saves me tons in time that I used to spend waiting on my PC laptops coming out of sleep. . .

It is cute, but I can't see this getting very far. The keyboard looks like a pain to use.

5. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

The keyboard do look like it's a pain to use. And yup, a powerbook is far better. But this thing is quite small and light. I'm not saying it's a killer product. I don<t even think that it's a full fledged computer. I'm just pointing out that there are some good ideas in that concept.

Hmmm... wonder if we could use this on a powerbook. Remember that I'm no John Ive or ergonomics expert. If you have a better idea, feel free to ask me for my original photoshop art.

[​IMG]

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good start. though to fit the size of the Vulcan computer the iPod screen and "wheel" need to a bit larger.

Though you hit on something I was going to suggest. An iBook/Ipod mini type of solution....

But that would require a 40 or 60GB HDD IMHO.

8. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Hehe, I know. But I was vizualizing a full size powerbook/ibook with the screen and wheel.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry abit of a newbie here... forgot....

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Post removed (not thread!): It was no longer pertinent.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

????!!!

Now I am totally lost here....

OIC now.... keep in mind some of us operate on only 5 to 6 hours sleep....

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Seems like an interesting idea, but the fact is most things like this have failed; they're either too much of a pain to use as a laptop (keyboard not comfortable, screen too small, etc) or too bulky to carry around like a PDA.

Even PDAs are a dying breed, being replaced by smartphones and the like, with laptops picking up the higher end.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe given the right combination of features, this idea might just fly today.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

while usually very critical of Mac concepts, this one i like, the screen and wheel on the exterior. Of course Apple would make it look a little classier, but good job overall... This could be a key component of an enterprise division, a subportable laptop that could say, run a presentation while closed, using the exterior controls; connect wirelessly to the company's network... and eliminate the need for a PDA *and* larger laptop... if it was priced right, they'd have something. Of course, big business markets have always been a trouble penetration spot for Apple, with of course the Newton and newton assistant dock thingie... but who knows... kids could carry their schoolwork around as a music player, having their homework at arms reach all night... it has a wide variety of uses in special markets, but none really for the average consumer. Still, if they did it right, the business and education market could more than sustain such a product.

but, product described above is already on the market, and is compatable with PCs... something Apple would struggle with...

paul