new 1.25Ghz are overclocked

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr Jobs, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

the cache of all the g4s has always been a ratio 0f, 1:4, 1:2 or 1:1 from the clock speed of the processor. yet this 1.25Ghz seems to have not followed that rule but has the same clock ratio as the 1Ghz g4 of 1:2. makes you wonder

just my thoughts

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

more evidence that the 1.25GHz systems are overclocked. I'm willing to bet that within 3 months, someone will find out how to modify some dip switches on the mobo to overclock the 867s to 1Ghz and the 1Ghzs to 1.25Ghz.

3. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

the 867 might get a bit too hot to run at 1.25 but the old dual 1ghz should be alright to overclock

4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Actually, there was a mod a couple months ago that did bump the dual 1 to dual 1.25s, but it required a soldering iron and some serious balls.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Man, it'd be sweet to crank my dual 1Ghz up to dual 1.25Ghz, but only if it was a simple and reversable thing to do.

6. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

well there u go more proof

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

MMMMMMM warrenty voiding:) I do remember an article about that, but it was only 1.2ghz as I recall.

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

A friend of mine that owns a Mac store can rise the cache to 6MB, he says it is bettern than overclocking the processor. I'm about to give him a try.

BTW, about the benchmark with the new computers, it pop up to my eyes that there is not such speed increased with the DDR memory or the system bus. It is obvious that Apple change the enclosure to be able to sell this new line of computers, very soon people are going to realize it is a bluf.

If this new line used the Qucik Silver enclousure would be a big failiour.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Removed my comment ... to avoid insulting the ignorant.

10. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

No matter what folks, we all know that OS X still kicks a$$!!! :D

11. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

you might wanna cheek with your friend again and his claims, it not possible to upgrade the processor cache which is soldered onto the processor card, second of all the g4 can only handle a maximum of 4MB cache, and if you were where would you get a hold of such a rare type of cache memory.

cache memory were upgradeable in the olden days of the 60x PowerPC chips the had their cache memory on the motherboard like ram modules.

I think you friend is pulling your leg or is trying to pull a fast one on ole 'mr mymemory' himself

12. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I apologize for my ignorance, but how do you overclock a processor? Thanks

Bill

13. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

25% overclocking seems crazy, even with all this new cooling stuff. There's no way Apple would introduced a whole line that's 25% above their initially rated speed. That's too risky, don't you guys think?

Also, why would they wait 6-8 weeks if they already have these chips, and the only issue is changing the settings? To fake us out? Doesn't make any sense to me. To me, it makes more sense if this is a new chip and Apple has to wait for Moto to produce sufficient yields.

14. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

sometimes its best not to know, but if you must cheek places like xlr8yourmac.com or a search on google, the way its done varies depending on what model of mac one has