new 1.5GHz cube upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003

new cube upgrade

i small word of waring to potential customers the fan is rated at 34db think mirrored door drive g4's i've heard 120mm delta fans lowder than that yikes

i would get the 1.4 that one comes with a silent blue led fan and is only a tad bit slower and saves you a load of money that you can spend on a ghraphics card or to max out your ram

(I'm holding out for a dual 1.5GHz g4 no a MHz less)
  2. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    sorry for being such a noob... the description states that its based on the 1.33ghz G4. if i upgrade a cube with this, would it be just as fast as a a brand new mac with the same speed processor?
  3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    when it says it is based on a 1.33GHz g4 7457 it means the ordered say 1,000 7457 1.33GHz g4's from motorola and tested them to see how fast they can go while remaining stable some go up to 1.5GHz some go up to 1.4GHz it's pure chance to do with how cleanly they came off the fabrication line

what you should do if you have a stock cube is to get ogles of ram in there and find yourself a quartz extreme graphics card and a 7200RPM 120GB HD then you will have a mac that is faster than any new mac but the g5

the only tricky bit is the graphics card there are currently three options that fit with no modification or flashing or anything dodgy

1) oem radeon the one built specifically for the cube very hard to find and expensive not that good

2) geforce 2 easier to find but still expensive don't pay more than $180

3) geforce 3 the best of the best for the cards that fit with no modification but it has a fan i have never heard it so i dont know how noisy it is but other cube users are not fond of it

now for the good cards that require a bit of work

radeon 7500: for this card you need to cut the face plate and remove one of the vga screws otherwise this is a great card some add extra cooling some don't (I have one in my cube with a small blower fan next to the heatsink and i put some ramsinks on it)

radeon 8500/9000: both the same card really but the 8500 has a fan and runs a tiny bit faster in some areas these cards require a clear cube which you can get from it too like the 7500 requires a face plate mod but you have to cut the cube to get clearance for the adc port

geforce 4mx: same type of deal as the 9000 and 8500

flashed pc cards (readon 7000's 9800's and geforce2's) you can get these from ebay or make one yourself (look here to find out how ( and

for the 7000 get a 32MB version the 64MB ones have wake from sleep issues and the proformence hit is non existant

for a geforce 2 they run a little hot because when you convert it from a mac to a pc card it overclocks it a little the 7000 is a better choice

the 9800 the mother of all cards for this you need a clear cube and an old pc power supply you would have to get the card from a guy called amacapart over from he sell via ebay just search for "9800 cube" this is the best card that you can get i'll be getting one when i have the funds.

as for the prosessor i would go for the 1.4GHz one as that comes with a nice blue led fan that is wisper quiet compared to the noisey fan that comes with the 1.5GHz one

alfter you have done all that you will have a mac faster than anything apple offers at the moment bar the g5

Enjoy the upgrading ride it's a fun one
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Including the dual G4s? I don't think so. No matter what else you do, the Cube is still stuck with PC 100/133 RAM, a 2x AGP slot and a relatively slow bus. Also, nearly all of the video card upgrades you suggest don't include ADC, which is a big drawback if you happen to own an ADC display.

Some day I'm probably going to spring for a CPU upgrade for my Cube, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking it will be as fast as anything new and current, it'll just be a lot faster than it was before. I also can't see myself hacking my Cube, so I've just about given up on ever upgrading the old RagePro video, unless somebody accidently releases one that fits.
  5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    sorry i forgot that apple still sells those dual 1.25GHz g4's

the system bus is not that limiting if you compare a dual 1GHz upgraded 100MHz bus g4 with a dual 1GHz mdd g4 there surprisingly close

what i gave you was a full list of cards that people have got to work in there cubes

i see you are not up for cube modification take a look here

for best performance get a geforce 3 this comes with adc
    for best price/proformence/noise get a 7500 they can be run without the face plate just fine it's just not that neat looking and even if you did the modification it dose nothing permanent to the cube

if you want a cheap card then get a geforce 2mx there cheap and good

your system will greatly benefit from a better card because of quarts extreme it removes the eye candy tax from the cpu and puts in on the graphics card

the benefits of anything above agp 2x are negligible the cards do not utilize the bandwidth it has the same type of deal as the bus.

as an amendment to my previous statement a fully upgraded cube will beat any new mac other than a dual g4 powermac or a g5

don't give up on your cube it will serve you well for years to come