1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

New $100 Bill Introduced

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joeshell383, Apr 21, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$100 bill gets a makeover to fight fakes
    Ben Franklin's face still graces the currency, but some other images change

WASHINGTON - The folks who print America's money have designed a high-tech makeover of the $100 bill. It's part of an effort to stay ahead of counterfeiters as technology becomes more sophisticated and more dollars flow overseas, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36687863/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

NewMoney.gov

2. macrumors member

I like it. Would be nice to have a few in my pocket right now. :cool:

3. macrumors 68030

gibbz

Do they need any beta testers?

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not bad but I never understood the need to totally redesign money. Security features notwithstanding they should leave it as it is.

On another note, will my money have the word "specimen" written on it if I were to scan it?

5. macrumors G5

Actually, if Photoshop detects currency, it won't even open the image. I tried to scan in a 20 out of boredom (and because I heard about that Photoshop "feature" and wanted to see if it was true) and it gave me a message about how counterfeiting money is bad and wouldn't open the file.

6. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ What version and a scanner will scan, it doesn't "detect" what it is scanning.

7. macrumors 68020

I tried to photocopy come UK money once - it just produced blank pages.

8. macrumors 65816

iAlan

That's about what the Pound is worth anyways.....

...and I like my plastic Australian Dollars!

9. macrumors 68040

calderone

I see "In God We Trust" is still present.

10. macrumors newbie

Thank god for that.

At least we can preserve some of our founding ideologies in the United States today.

11. macrumors 68040

calderone

12. macrumors 6502

Fed Notes sure are getting colorful. I'm sure if Franklin knew his images was on these things, though, he'd be disgusted.

The US Constitution states:

• The Congress shall have power to...coin money, regulate the value thereof.

• No State shall...make any thing but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts.

Gotta go, I hear the PRSI forum calling.

13. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14. macrumors 6502

I assumed Obama's face would be on it? Or are they releasing a trillion dollar bill? :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

He would probably blow a few gaskets when he read "Federal Reserve" on the paper too.

16. macrumors 68020

theBB

No, but your scanner may call FBI and confess to the crime on your behalf. :)

17. macrumors regular

I like it, it looks snazzy

18. macrumors newbie

Thank god for that.

At least we can preserve some of our founding ideologies in the United States today.

19. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The pound is still worth significantly more than the Australian Dollar...

The dollar does need to improve its security, the only way to check that the money is real is to check the paper feel between your fingers, it would be nice if there was at least a watermark as well, like the British have with the Queens head.

I'd guess more security than that is needed on the US$100 bill as its worth a substantial amount.

20. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Umm...
    [​IMG]

As far as I know, all bills down to the $5 (maybe even $1) have a watermark like the above.

21. macrumors 6502

Really. I would like to volunteer to test these bills out. Just send me about 5 stacks of them so I can begin a limited test distribution and assist in random validity checks. First test will be a rather large one at the Apple store!

22. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

23. macrumors 601

eawmp1

And thank you for dumping us into PRSI land!

24. macrumors G4

Chundles

They need to make it more accessible for people with vision impairments.

Ours are brightly coloured, have large numerals for the denominations and are of increasing size as the value goes up. Makes it much easier for blind and vision impaired people to use the currency.

25. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Can't wait to roll one up and snort some lines.