new 12" 1Ghz ibook or old 12" 1Ghz pbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mbstuff, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mbstuff macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for months to buy a new ibook. Now that they're out, I find that I have two choices in making my switch.

1. the new 1Ghz 12" ibook total cost = $1060 from local apple store (edu discount)

2. the 1Ghz 12" pbook (rev. b I think) total cost = $1399 - $100 mail-in-rebate = $1299 from Amazon. no edu discount

$1299 for the 12" 1 Ghz pbook seemed like a real bargain, but having read through the specs, I can't find anything spec-wise where the pbook is better.
    Same ram, same 4200 rpm hard drive (10 gig more in pbook), same processor speed, even video card (if not slightly better in the ibook).

The pbook does have bluetooth built-in, spanning and better styling (I guess - I'm pretty dull when it comes to style :D ), none of which of are important to me.

Primarily, I'll be writing on this notebook and recording some music (I have a usb audio interface). Any advice for me in justifying the $230 price difference between the two? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. MacMyDay macrumors regular

I'd truthfully say that it would be a waste of money to do so for the extra 1-GB, especially as, and I can assure you of this, the Radeon is far superior over the GeForce in the PowerBook. For that neither have a SuperDrive, I'd say you'd be better off saving the money and perhaps getting more RAM for it, which would be better then being simply able to say that you've got a PowerBook, unless you reckon it'll impress the chicks :p

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Get the iBook. The old PB and the new iBook are exactly the same, besides the outer casing.

4. iRez macrumors member

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Very true. Sorry I missed that detail.

6. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

And DVI,screen spanning out of the box and clamshell mode.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have no idea what clamshell mode is....

8. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

You can run the computer with the lid closed.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I could've sworn that the iBooks had this capability. I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time....

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you can wait a few days, the apple store will probably start selling used 12" rev. B Powerbooks in the "special deals" section for less than $1300.