New 12" iBook and Mini or 12" PB w/Superdrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smythson, May 3, 2005.

1. smythson macrumors newbie

May 3, 2005
    Hey all,
    which would you get. A new iBook and mac mini or a tricked 12" PB w/ Superdrive. Also note, it would be the new iBook, whenever that update happens.
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Definitely the PB, and grab an extra display to go with it.

Why own two nearly identical computers when you can own one computer that beats both of them in every category?
  3. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    Besides that, I never really liked having more than on computer at a time, I'd rather just have on main computer with al my sh*t in it.
  4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I agree with that.

I wouldn't totally max it out. I would just get all the non upgradable things, and leave room for improvement in the future. Then I would buy a Dell 2005FPW. (I would wait until it's on sale below $500). Then you have a fast computer with a good monitor. But that's just me.
  5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I was once in a similar situation and the overwhelming vote on my thread was to go with a single computer. And the 2005FPW is one heck of a monitor. I got mine for $345 on sale so you should def wait till it is on sale again.
  6. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    What were you planning on plugging the mini into? Whatever it was, you can plug your Powerbook into. You could have a desktop setup using your Powerbook when you want to. It would be better than a mini desktop setup. That's what I plan to do next year for college... On my list is;
    monitor, keyboard, mouse...