New 12" iBook - What it wont do??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by VanMac, Jul 26, 2005.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

So, thinking of getting the 12" iBook instead of saving up for the 15" PB. I could pretty much just get it right now.

Anything that it wont do compared to a 15"??

I plan to do the typical email/surfing thing, play with photos, do some basic movie stuff, and maybe play around with garage band.

I can buy an external dvd recorder if I need it.
    Hooking up to exteral ACD is not important...if I really get into it, I will get a suped up PowerMac.

Any advice between the two appreciated. Was just thinking that I could save a few dollars, get into a mac right away, and upgrade later if something super comes out with upgraded PBs (PBs are seeming kinda dated and pricey).

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

iBook doesn't have direct audio in jack, as PowerBook does (for GarageBand, Logic, etc). This is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

So I can't plug in my guitar into the iBook to record? Lame! So you can only use USB preamps?

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Wouldnt you want to use a USB Pre-Amp anyway? I was told plugging directly into a PB would be crappy quality.

I was recommended to buy this for mic/guitar input
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html