new 12" PB-loud fans?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fennek, Apr 16, 2005.

1. fennek macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany

I just recieved a new 12" Powerbook as a replacement for the one I recently bought which had issues with its trackpad and had a non-closing lid. Doh.
    I was really happy because the new book actually closed and the trackpad worked, however the replacement model is so much louder. I have a 100 gig hd in both of them and the same amount of ram, I run the same programs yet the new replace pb sounds like one of those 3 ghz amd notebooks. It is in fact only the left side fan (when looking at the screen) the right side is just silent. I am starting to get annoyed because there is no way of working at a library or quiet places. Again this is ALREADY A REPLACEMENT.

Any suggestions how I could check out what might be wrong?

oh I have already tried to set the enery saving modes to low processor usage etc.

2. iBarcode macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2005
    my 12" G4 Powerbook is louder then the dual G5 that sits in our study... GF is not impressed when she is asleep in bed next 2 me and i'm on the laptop.
  3. Ringu macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    I just got a new 12"PB. Mine is really quiet. I've used it almost a week and I can hardly remember the fan coming on.
  4. swindmill macrumors 6502a

Mar 17, 2005
    I have a new 12" PB 1.5Ghz and rarely hear the fan. If it does come on, you really have to listen for it. The only exception is when the Marine Aquarium screensaver runs; it'll get pretty loud with that running for a while.
  5. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    I just got a 12" powerbook as well. You can hear the fan on it, but its really really quiet, and yes its the left side. I couldnt see it being a problem in a quiet place like a library, that is of course untill i put a cd in the drive at which point it sounds like pavoroti in bloom, but thats only when a cd's in there, rest of the time it isn't a problem.
    Do you know anyone else who has one so that you can compare noise? That sounds the best bet to see if they've sent you yet another dodgy one..
    I was interested to read your message the other day about the clicking trackpad. I read the message and then tried my own, i found that it does actually click but only when scrolling over the dock, sound familiar? Or did yours click constantly?

Best of luck with your apple future, don't let these problems put you off them, although i could see it getting fraustrating.
  6. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
  7. fennek thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    The thing is that I had two 12"ers sitting next to each other. One with a non-working lid and a non working trackpad, another one with what appears to be a faulty fan...
    I guess QC at apple is not what it used to be.

I'd love the product, if it was only working...