new 12" powerbook - battery life - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by heatheralane, Jun 1, 2004.

1. heatheralane macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
    I have a new 1.33 GHz, 80GB, 1.256GB RAM - it's about three weeks old.

Problem is, my battery thing up in the menu says that it never charges above 51%. As in, it's now been plugged in overnight without use, and the battery says it's 51% full, and the powercord thing glows green (not orange like when it's actually charging). If I unplug it it starts going down from there. I'm only getting about 1.5-2 hours of battery life before it dies.

Is this a normal battery life/known issue/anything?

2. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Did you calibrate the battery before using it?
  3. heatheralane thread starter macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
  4. heatheralane thread starter macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
    oh sorry, you mean the drain and then recharge thing. yeah, I did that.
  5. mac4drew macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2003
    Whoops, I posted like two seconds after you said you already tried that.

Did you try doing a PMU reset?
  6. heatheralane thread starter macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
    Thanks Drew - haven't tried it but will give it a shot!

Maybe I'm not sure what kind of battery life to expect? My old pismo had about 4 hours or so if I was just doing word processing I expecting too much?
  7. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2002
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Battery Life

I've been getting between 3-4 hours on a full charge with my 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook. The battery life has been pretty reasonable although I need to swap batteries on cross-country flights (nothing unusual there). The only thing I haven't liked is that the 12" 1.33 GHz seems to run a whole heck of a lot hotter than my old 17" 1 GHz model.

If you don't get anywhere with the suggestions on this thread, I'd complain to Apple if I were you. The battery clearly isn't performing like it should.
  8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    No this is not normal. I would call apple asap, as I get three hours or so with my rev. a 12" pb.
  9. heatheralane thread starter macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
    I just talked to Applecare about my battery issue - guess what!! According to him, about two hours of battery life for this powerbook (with airport, bluetooth turned off and no applications running)!!!! That sucks!! Of what use is a laptop if I can't be away from a cord for even a couple of hours!

He still gave me a couple of things more to try (resetting the PMU, re-seating the battery) because my battery calculator thing still says it's only charging to 50%. Still, if I'm getting two hours of charge, even without actually using the computer, they're not going to do anything about it.

I'm really disappointed in Apple's expectations. My G3 still gets a longer battery life than two hours even after all these years.

:( :( :( :( :( :mad:
  10. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    If resetting the PMU does not help, call Apple back and have your call escalated if the first line contact can't help you - they only follow the script they're given. We had the same problem with a PB we bought and it turned out to be a defective battery. Just remember to be nice and professional and you should be able to get this resolved.
  11. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Even if 2 hours of battery life were acceptable to Apple, you should be able to charge it past 50%. You should be getting 4 hours on a full charge doing things like light typing.

Call Apple again. Explain the 50% part 1st.
  12. heatheralane thread starter macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004

I called Apple again after their suggestions didn't work and 1) stressed the only powering to 50% thing; and 2) only getting 1.5 or so hours. They sent me a new battery immediately (I was impressed - conversation was on Friday and it arrived on Monday). I let the new battery charge and now it's showing that I'll about 4-4.5 hours of battery life!! Yay!!

Problem solved (hopefully)!