Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Now an owner of a Rev B 12". I really do enjoy using it, save for the fact that it's now at Apple repair due to unexplained kernel panics that appear to be hardware related.

Like it a lot better than my old Rev A 12" iBook... man that thing was really trashy to me.

Also, everyone, please keep in mind that these are not gaming laptops... if you want to play games on a laptop and only a laptop GET A PC (sadly).

But right now I'm hoping Apple will replace my logic board with a Rev C since the one I bought was a refurb and evidently they screwed up in their "strict refurbishment process".

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
juicyapple said:
Hi guys,

I am new to these forums and a new 12" rev c with a superdirve pb user also. I just sold my 15" iMac g4... It was a sad day. Anyways, I got a 20gb 3g iPod with the pb with the cram and jam deal. As I was reading over this thread I noticed a few similarities with my pb. It wobbles, but only on certain parts of my desk. As it sits in the center right now, there is no wobbling. But if I put it to the left , it wobbles and is very annoying. But I have come to realize my desk is uneven, not the pb. But after reading all the complaints about the wobbling in the 12", I don't know what to think. Also, I always thought my trackpad click was uneven on the right side, but I thought it was just my imagination. Is it supposed to be silent, because mine makes a clicking sounds, similar to the clicking sound on the iPod mini. Other than that I love it and it has been perfect. I have a question though that may be real stupid, but what are those lights on the bottom of the pb. Sometime they are lit up and moving, and other times they are not.
The clicking noises are the hard drive. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. No hard drive is completely silent. You'll notice the clicking sound comes from the left palm rest, which is where the hard drive is located.

The lights on the bottom of the battery indicate its charge status. Useful only if you have the PB turned off when charging. If they are flashing, it indicates charging (e.g. 4 solid + 5th light flashing equals nearly charged, 1 solid + 2nd light flashing = charging but only currently at about 20% charge, etc). If they are solid, they just indicate, on a scale of 1 to 5, the amount of charge remaining.

About wobbling - mine wobbles on one part of my desk, but is perfectly even everywhere else. I'm assuming it's the desk and not the PB. There were some problems with rev A's I believe, but I think they have been ironed out now. No need to worry.

Sounds like your PB is in full working order!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
after lots of calculations and stuff i have figured that if i sell my ibook and my b&w g3 i can afford an american 12" combo drive powerbook and have it brought over to the uk in september by my dads friend, and it costs £802 including sales tax in San Francisco.

i cant wait i'm so excited, ive never had a powerbook before :D

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
Hector said:
after lots of calculations and stuff i have figured that if i sell my ibook and my b&w g3 i can afford an american 12" combo drive powerbook and have it brought over to the uk in september by my dads friend, and it costs £802 including sales tax in San Francisco.

i cant wait i'm so excited, ive never had a powerbook before :D

I was thinking about doing this.. but remember - US keyboads are different, the power supply and cables are different, and if customs do a spot check on your bag on return to the UK, you will have to pay tax on it.. I decided it wasn't worth the worry, especially when educational discounts are pretty good anyway.

Im still debating if I should wait a few months for a new revision of the PB with tiger and possibly a better gfx chip (5200 is totally pants) seen as im in no big hurry atm, and the 4G Ipod is ugly compared to 3G(cram&jam deal)...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the keyboards are not too different, i have the nessisary power heads you just use fig 8 ones and i have the head from my ipod charger, as for spot checks he'll take it out of the packageing as if it was his powerbook.

the 5200 in the powerbook is ok because it has 128 bit memory the 5200's are hated in the pc world because they are crippled by 64 bit memory. it's ok but still not nearly as fast as the 9700.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
Hector said:
the keyboards are not too different, i have the nessisary power heads you just use fig 8 ones and i have the head from my ipod charger, as for spot checks he'll take it out of the packageing as if it was his powerbook.

the 5200 in the powerbook is ok because it has 128 bit memory the 5200's are hated in the pc world because they are crippled by 64 bit memory. it's ok but still not nearly as fast as the 9700.

It will still be problem if something goes wrong with it I imagine..

I currently have never owned anything apple (but have used them at college for 2 years..) and want a powerbook to be my first purchase but with Tiger so close to release im so very very tempted to wait a month or 2. Seen as the Cram and Jam offer ends in November, im assuming the new OS and any other possible updates (which might happen becuase of coreimage) will happen in December... just in time for the christmas sales rush...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the only thing that could go wrong is a customs check and I would still save a fair bit.

10.4 wont be out untill next year and a powerbook revision isent comming soon

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
Hector said:
the only thing that could go wrong is a customs check and I would still save a fair bit.

10.4 wont be out untill next year and a powerbook revision isent comming soon

I meant if there is a problem with the hardware..

Im not talking about a G5 update here.. just something better in the gfx department.. even a minor change like a switch to the Go5650. They can't keep that 5200 forever, and PB's seem to have minor revisions every few months don't they?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
not really no, the warrenty is worldwide so if something go's wrong i can get it fixed here

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
Hector said:
not really no, the warrenty is worldwide so if something go's wrong i can get it fixed here

Interesting... Only thing is that you couldn't use the cram&jam money back thing which means that buy a full price ipod would wipe out pretty much all the savings. (if you interested in a new ipod that is... :p)

So you don't think there will be ANY changes to the PB config in the next couple of months then?

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
JLS said:
I Seen as the Cram and Jam offer ends in November, im assuming the new OS and any other possible updates (which might happen becuase of coreimage) will happen in December... just in time for the christmas sales rush...

November!?!?!...The site tells me Sept. 25th when I go there.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i have an ipod already but i might be doing the cram and jam thing as there is a student i know in america that could buy both of them at edu discount get the rebate and send me the powerbook and keep the ipod giveing me half the rebate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.