New 12 PowerBook, instead of iBook with G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macphoria, Jan 7, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I just saw the information on new 12 inch PowerBook. Awesome machine, I have to say. It is the answer to people (me included) who's been saying "I want an iBook with G4".

But, this 12 inch PowerBook looks so much like iBook that I can't help but wonder if they share number of components. For one, I wonder if the 12 inch screen is identical to the one in iBook, which is not as good as the ones in latest 15 inch PowerBooks. And I wonder why they limited the RAM to only 640mb, just like iBook? Even the optical drive, even though it is slot loading, is exactly in the same position as the iBook. But some of these similarities could be simply due to form factor.

One obvious difference I noticed is that 12 inch PowerBook doesn't seem to have visible speakers unlike the iBook. I wonder where they moved those to. The specs also mention that it has THIRD speaker, designed to enhance midrange sound. I wonder what this might be?

If you have any other observations, thoughts, or ideas, please comment.

2. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

sorry I can't add anything

to Macphoria: Hey, I think you have the same questions that I have. Actually, I don't really know what to ask about the differences between the ibooks and the new 12.1" PowerBooks. So if anyone can recommend one over the other for me I would appreciate it.

I'll be using it for school (reading PDFs, MS Word, net surfing) as well as my own little photo lab (so I'm sure iPhoto as well as Adobe Elements) so my processor-intensive tasks are minimal, if any. I will be using Wi-Fi and I like that the Powerbook has the Al casing and a slot-loading drive. Other than that I really don't care about G4 vs G3 except for issues of speed. I'm not all that up to date on what's better than what, so can someone tell me if the iBook's L3 cache will off-set the G4's speed? I dunno WHAT to think. Also, if you go through the ADC Apple store the price is considerably less for the ibook.

Anyway, thanks for anyone's input.

3. NWBadger macrumors newbie

Video

I like a lot about the 12" PowerBook, but I'm disappointed to see that it apparently does not have a DVI video connector.

4. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

no DVI

yep, no DVI is disappointing particularly because it would have really distinguished the Powerbook line from the iBooks. It's definitely something that I could live without, though.

Also, I kind of wish that the 12" Powerbook was only an inch tall so that it could be in line with the other formats. I know, it's just a little quibble and in all practicality that wouldn't stop me at all from getting it, but it would sure help my mind to set it apart from the iBook series.

5. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

iBook or Powerbook 12 inch?

If you are not going to do anything to do with VIDEO (using Final Cut Pro, After Effects, or anything that has to do with making movies), get iBook. That's where G4 chip will dominate over G3. Other than that G3 iBook is just as good.

I've personally tried out iBook 700 with those programs and results were disappointing. They work, but it is REALLY slow.

I wanted to get 1ghz Powerbook because of two reasons, G4 for video work and Superdrive for making DVD's. But I prefered iBook's compact form. Now that 12 inch Powerbook came out with G4 and Superdrive, both needs have been met. But again, if you do not have need for those, iBook will be fine.

By the way, does anyone know where the speakers went on 12 inch Powerbook? I know this is not a big issue, but the curiosity is buggin the heck out of me.

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

What sets the 12" AiBook apart from the ibooks is this:

Airport Extreme
    Bluetooth
    DDR-RAM
    nVidia Graphics Chip
    Slot-Load optical
    SD Drive possible
    G4 chip @ 867 (faster than fastest ibook)

Similar (better than TiPB):

Better antenna
    Ai case that is NOT painted
    -----------------------------------------------------

The 12" powerbook is probably going to outsell the faster 12" ibook preety fast with people who want to photoshop etc. and keep good airport range. Either that or they will get a 17" AiBook

7. losfp macrumors regular

Re: New 12 PowerBook, instead of iBook with G4

Yep, definitely what I was after :) (ie: iBook with G4).

The speakers thing had me stumped as well - I couldn't work out where they might be. Didn't look like they were on top, or on the sides, or in the front. Then I read a post on the apple discussion boards from someone who actually saw one at the expo - they are located on the back! (ie: pointing AWAY from the user). Apparently the sound is supposed to reflect back off the screen - as with the iBook, the lid swings back to cover the rear of the notebook. I guess they'd sound like rubbish, but that's to be expected for a notebook anyway.

No idea where the 3rd speaker might be.

8. digitalgiant macrumors regular

12 inch powerbook,,,,,one more reason iBooks are for girls:eek:

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The real test will be when the machine is broken open and people look inside to see if the 12" Powerbook has the Uni-N/KeyLargo chipset or is running the single-chip Pangea IC solution.

Currently the Pangea IC is running in the iMac & iBook.

Everybody keeps refering to the eMac as an iMac with a CRT, but if you look inside it you find it is running a Uni-N/KeyLargo chipset - so the eMac is a little more of all-in-one G4 PowerMac than a iMac G4 with a CRT.

Should also be interesting to see if the Uni-N is the same revision as the on in the current XServe and/or DDR PowerMac.

10. pnz999 macrumors member

what is this "Uni-N/KeyLargo chipset.. or single-chip Pangea IC solution"?

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The respective motherboards that the macs run on.

12. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I suppose Powerbook's the way to go

Good feedback. I suppose I'll be placing a 12" Powerbook order pretty soon.

now to fool around with the colors
    :)

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ummm...or for people who can't spend $1800. Quite frankly, the $1300 I spent on my iBook was at the very top of my range. I wish that Apple still had a $50 DVD upgrade option on the lowest end iBook model, then I would've definitely opted to spend only $1050 for that (I don't really need a CD-RW, but I most definitely wanted to use my iBook as a portable DVD player). You can have your pretty little 12.1" PowerBook. Hey, if money's no object for you, go for it...

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is the iMac...

[​IMG]

This is the eMac...

[​IMG]

Everybody calls the eMac an LCD iMac with CRT, but the block diagram really shows the eMac is built around the chipset used in the PowerMac.

15. jby1chaos macrumors newbie

L3 Cache?

Has anyone else noticed that there is no L3 cache on the 12" powerbook? Is this because it has to run off of a smaller battery or what, and doesn't that mean that the performance of the processor will not be that great because of this?

... I still want one though... :D

16. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

No L3 Cache does matter. But...

Yeah, I noticed that 12 inch Powerbook does not have L3 Cache. This will make a difference. Here is an example. There were three machines with 800MHz G4 chips, iMac, Power Mac, and Powerbook. iMac and Power Mac did not have L3 Cache whereas Powerbook did. In various benchmark tests Powerbook with L3 cache performed better.

http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/comparison/all/master_list_9.html

But personally, I don't think this should matter much. With 12 inch G4 PowerBook, now professionals can have compact laptop that is far more capable than iBook. And from the benchmark results in above chart, my guess is 12 inch 867MHz G4 Powerbook should perform somewhere between 800MHz G4 Powerbook (1MB L3 Cache) and 667MHz G4 Powerbook (1MB L3 Cache), which should be plenty.

17. moby1 macrumors 6502

Re: No L3 Cache does matter. But...(no buts).

I used an 800 MHz PowerBook with L3 cache and an 800 MHz iMac. There is a BIG difference. I'd used the 500 & 550 PB's before and the 800 has a real 'kick' to it and it's more than the 133 bus and extra MHz.

The lack of L3 cache really killer the 12" option for me. It's a sweet machine with a SD but it's not for me.

moby1

18. tunamelt macrumors newbie

Since the 12-inch PB does not have a DVI out, does that mean I cannot hook it up to a Studio Display?

19. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Damn it!

Now I really can't decide. I got my school money not ten minutes ago and have budgeted for a new book. I have been planning on the iBook for months now, but the Powerbooks look so badass, I can't decide. Where is the aluminum 15", that's what I really want.

20. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

15 inch AlBook?

15 inch AlBook won't happen for a while. If you need a 15 inch laptop, current 15 inch 1GHz TiBook price just dropped by $200. It is a good bargain for a machine that was updated only couple of months ago. Unless, that is, if you must have the cool factor of AlBook.

21. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

It's the AlumiBook.

Well, with ADC discount, the iBook spec'd how I want it is only about $250 cheaper than the 12" PowerBook.

The machine is...

12" AlumiBook
    60 GB HD
    640 RAM
    Airport card and Station (w/modem and antenna ports)
    Combo drive

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

at the 1799 price point, the lines are blurred between consumer and professional

whatever one wants to call it, the 12 inch powerbook is an awesome value

23. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Anyway you look at it the 12" PowerBook is better than the iBook, except the L2 cache. Better GPU, smaller size, slot loading drive, G4, BlueTooth, Airport Extreme capable etc. I love this notebook and have waited a long time for it. I would've liked a 12-13" widescreen and an L3 cache...but it is like getting a G4 iBook. I'm buying one as soon as possible. I would imagine alot of the components are the same as the iBook. Please tell me the FSB speed is 133mhz...Does anyone knoe for sure?

24. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You forgot to mention that the PBX 12? (PowerBook Extreme 12?) has a faster system bus @ 133Mhz, DDR RAM, a faster ATA Drive @ 100, and a faster combo optical drive @ 24x10x24, which is also faster than the TiBook!!! ;) ;) :p

25. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Yes the 12" PB or as I like to call it the minibook made me think twice about buying an iBook, but now I want to see what changes the iBook will get and then I will be able to decide, I still like the look of the iBook, but the power of the minibook is calling.