New 14" ibook - squeaky touchpad

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jmbean50, Aug 31, 2005.

1. jmbean50 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just got my 14" ibook as my first mac and so far I'm loving it. The only thing that's been bugging me a little bit is that the touchpad tends to make a squeaking sound when i'm scrolling towards the bottom of the pad. I'm afraid this may be a sign of future problems with the touchpad. Am I being too picky? Is this something that I should get checked out? Anyone else notice this on their ibook?
    Thanks.

2. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

all good

yeah i had this with my old ibook 12" its nothing to stress over, it can be annoying yeah but its not a sign of future probs.

you can easy get it fixed and since yer ibook is new it should be covered by applecare.

mishi

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mine's silent. How hard do you press? You know it requires only the lightest of touches, right? :)

4. jmbean50 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pressing very lightly, just enough to be able to scroll down the page. I'm not sure if I should bring it in to the apple store or not.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it sound like the screech is coming from the contact between your finger and the track-pad or from inside the actual track-pad? If it's just a contact noise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

6. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Mine does it too. I dont think its anything to worry about though.

7. jmbean50 thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like its two pieces of plastic rubing against each other when I scroll. Its more noticeable at the bottom of the trackpad near the button.
    It doesn't squeak near the top of the pad.
    Thanks.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That's what happens when you turn a mouse upside down and rub its belly... ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't worry about it too much but certainly give them a call if you're finding it annoying or if it gets worse.

Nice. :D

10. California macrumors 68040

California

I'd replace it. It's under warranty; its a weird annoyance you don't need. But that's just me.