new 14 inch ibook?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by powerbook, Jan 9, 2002.

1. powerbook macrumors newbie

The new 14 inch ibook is a welcomed addition. The only differences I can see in the specs are obviously the 14.1 screen, 8x writing speed in combo drive, an extra 128MB RAM module in the RAM slot (needs to be removed to upgrade) and a 50 Watt battery instead of 42 Watts giving an additional hour of battery power.

Although I like the new ibook, I couldn't stop thinking about the interior of the new ibook. As it is probably using the same logic board and interior as the smaller 12.1 inch ibook, it must have a lot of dead space!! Except for the larger battery...
    What also surprised me is that it weighs exactly the same as my lombard machine 5.9lbs (2.7Kg) half a kilo more than the 12 inch ibook!!! That is a lot, does the extra screen space and plastics weigh that much!?!? Perhaps the battery takes a lot of weight?

I don't think this configuration is a winner as you can buy the 550 Ti for $400 more, and get a lot more features ...
    If they would have increased the screen size or added a G4 then it could have been interesting.

But, since the new ibook is a lot heavier and larger than the small sleek 12 inch ibook, I think that only people who have a though time with the small 12 inch screen will buy it, otherwise there is no reason why you should spend $300 more?

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah-

I love my TiBook, but there are times when it just gets too hot. Also, the titanium casing tends to flex more than the iBooks plastic casing. I feel like I have to cradle it to take it anywhere. I have often wondered if I would prefer a iBook over the TiBook.

Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh