Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dresumt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
well i ve had my pb for about 3 weeks now and i thought it was greatest machine ever .....i had upgraded from a toshiba laptop .....the screen on my toshiba had cracked well i just got my toshiba back from the shop and it runs circles around my pb when surfing the web :mad: .....does the pb not play well with wireless routers i did a speed test and my pb gets 350 kbps and my toshiba gets 1090 kbps whats the deal is there something i m supposed to do to fine tune my pb ?? the router i got is a linksys 802.11b router and both laptops where in the same location when running the test please help

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
I don't think it has anything to do with either computer hardware. it is more likely the signal strength or the router.
All routers today use same wifi standard but keep in mind that linksys (company) doesn't directly support macs even though router can be used with macs. So it could be a matter of optimization. (Safari, for example is faster then IE explorer...)

Could also be a signal strength. are you browsing with both laptops from the same place? do u have similar network settings on both laptops? WEP? or firewalls etc?

If we talk about routers, i'd suggest D-Link over linksys. LinkSys probably is one of the top on PCs but it's not very Mac friendly.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You know that youre getting no where close to 1090kb/sec right? Most windows apps just report things as kbps, not KBps.
350KB/sec is the speed you will get off most cable modems and there is no way youre getting 1MB/sec off your PC, just plain no way.

If you really want to test it, get an app like AIM, and get someone to send a file to you on both the mac and PC. AIM reports all speeds as KB/sec, so you should see the same speed from that person on both computers.

Panopticon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm using a Linksys setup like what you're suggesting. I'm not saying anything about transfer speeds, etc., just the following:

My new PB 15" Ai is a bit slower on the wireless via the Linksys beside the PIII 450 w/wireless linksys USB adapter. I haven't much to say about this exept that the PIII's connection seems to get better attention. Both computers are the same distance from the router, but that's my perception.

It 'could' be something to do with the Airport antennae and its communication to a 3rd party device. Just a suggestion but it may be bias to the Airport base? :p Whatever... I only noticed when I got less than 1k transfers from the PB and standard pulls from the PIII on the wireless. Maybe my house is haunted... ;-)

And yes, the pulls were from different sites, so its probably not the server-side.

That's my 2¢/conspiracy theory... :p

dresumt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
well its definetly the router thank god i was starting to get very dissapointed that my pb was so slow .......after reading what u guys posted i decided to disconnect the router and just hook up the modem to the computer it definetly was a huge improvement ........ i m going to go ahead and reconnect the router now and try to change the settings around hope that will do the trick ............thanks for the help ....oh one more question so what wireless router is more compatible with both mac and pc since they are not too expensive nowadays i can always pick up a better router if there is one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.