New 15" PB Switcher

Discussion in 'Switch Stories' started by KBFinFan, Sep 26, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

My name is Kyle Brown and I use a Macintosh.

It came yesterday, only nine days after being announced so I was thrilled. Opening the package was like christmas. Everything was so neat and tidy.

I have always had a secret passion for Apple. When I got my first real computer back in 1995 I think it was a 486/66mhz AST from RadioShack that actually stood the test of time much better than most. I had asked and asked for a Mac, but my parents knew better I guess and I joined the PC world. After that I got a Gateway PIII 600 when I entered high school, which seemed like a supercomputer to the previous model. Then off to college I got a 1.4GHz Athlon model (from NuTrend.. highly recommended) which I still have and actually like. I really had no problem with Windows.. but the mac.. it just seemed a lot more fun.

At the beginning of the Summer I wanted an iMac.. then an iBook.. then an iMac. Finally I decided I'd go pro style w/ a PB. But, oh the wait until the 15". To make a long enough story short I ordered my 15" Tuesday morning before my 8AM class (EDT). Thus began the countdown....

Yesterday when I sat down and opened my computer I couldn't get over the technology and design that goes into it. It's artwork.. not just a computer. It seems to have a life of its own.. it is a technological being. Using yesterday was amazing, everything was so simple so tight. So beautiful. I had no problems with the screen, the latch, or warping. Yes, there is a gap, but its supposed to be there. I took some pictures, but they aren't that good... too excited to focus.

As I continue my Mac journey I would like to thank everyone for keeping me company over the last few months and for always being polite and helpful.

My name is Kyle Brown and I am a switcher.

Pics

2. macrumors G3

Counterfit

1.) Darn you and your working latch :p
    2.) the only thing you should need the Manual for would be to calibrate the battery. Maybe. But remember to do it.
    3.) Check out my pics.

3. macrumors 6502

matthew24

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I was kidding about the instructions... I made sure that I calibrated the battery. Ya so far no latch troubles, so I am pretty happy. No dead pixels either.

5. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-KBFinFan

Most latch troubles are caused by the user opening the lid and rolling the thumb over the hook before it has a chance to stow - so be careful.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up, I usually make it practice to push the latch wait a second and then go ahead and lift the screen.

7. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, good news from me. My latch problem pretty much disappeared today. I don't know what happened, the last time I closed it was Monday, and then bam, today it works. So the only problem left now is speakers. That and lack of sleep :D.

8. macrumors newbie

Did I read yours right? You ordered it Tuesday? do you mean the 23rd or 16th?

Also what are your specs?

I ordered mine this past Saturday and I'm so excitied, I have been waiting four weeks for a Dell and cancelled the order once I used the new ALbooks at the local store. You can't beat the edu discount

9. macrumors G3

Counterfit

10. uae
    macrumors member

50% now 100% switcher

Yes...thanks to the new PB15 I am now a 100% mac user.

I got a dual gig g4 about a year ago for editing and I recently got the 15 PB as my main computer to replace my Dell.

Well honestly I'm around 90% switched now...I'm still using my Dell for QuickBooks and Quicken.

I was going to get QuickBooks but then I saw that they were upgrading to 6.0 soon so maybe I'll wait.

But my PowerBook is perfect. No problems at all.

It is a thing of beauty. Extremely well designed. And I love OSX...and Mail's junk filtering is doing a decent job of filtering out the millions of junk mails that i get.