New 15" PB with 970???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mymemory, May 28, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I was talking with my friend at the Mac store and he told me that even he is not sure about the 64 bit processor, he is very sure that Apple is gonna lunch the 15" with 960 processor. He said: "Apple are such nasty capitalist bastards, I want to see the faces of all those who bought me the 20's 17" Powerbooks last week when the new 15" come out".

Actually Apple doesn't have any where to go with the 15" except for updating the chip. The 15" is like "Dadys little girl" for Apple.

From this next keynote we can expect 2 things:

1. A huge hapiness just like the last one, or

2. A riot if we do not get anything really "different" of what we got today.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Re: New 15" PB with 970???

1. I pressume 960 is a typo?
    2. It's not gonna happen!
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    i'd hope more for a 970 desktop than a laptop. You'd be wasting your time (much like i am replying to this) hoping for a 970 powerbook in june or july.
  4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

Be prepared to riot then, because no amount of this wishful optimism will change reality. Sure, it could happen, but there are plenty of reasons why it probably won't. (Since I'm always ignored when I list them anyway, I'll not do it now.)
  6. Zeke macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    I know this is a waste. But why wouldn't it happen? They could just have easily made a new motherboard for the PB (maybe that's what the rectangular MB was that has been rumored). Maybe the company that made the MB for the PM didn't leak. I just don't see why everyone thinks it can't happen. Without it the PB can't get any faster for a long while and there's no way this would be the year of the laptop without some advances in the PB. Granted I think the PM will come out at WWDC but I don't think the PB will be far behind if at all. It doesn't make sense that they'd be waiting to put it out if not for that. If they're holding on to a crap load of 15" PB waiting for the previous supply to deplete they'd be wasting a lot of money (inventory costs money). They would just get them out and be done with it with maybe a markdown on the previous model. I think there's a definite possibility we'll see the 970 PB at the same time as the PM and I definitely don't think that'll be MW SF (especially sense Apple is trying to get away from MW Keynote unveilings).
  7. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

Well for one thing, Apple needs to design these motherboards (to name only a single component) and you can bet that they don't have the resources to simultaneously design one or two for desktops, another one or two for the Xserves (would be nice to share mobo with desktop but easier said than done) and three more for AluBooks. Any way you look at it Apple needs to design at least two new families of mobos and probably 3 entire families (PMac, Xserve, AluBook) just to cover the pro lineup. Name me the most recent time that Apple has done anything like that. I can't think of any such time recently, and I think thats because Apple has a limited number of engineers that move from project to project, as opposed to armies of engineers doing everything at once.

People expect Apple to revamp everything "now" because it would "make Apple more money", or because thats what people want. This expectation is unsatisfiable.
  8. nikfel macrumors member

Apr 11, 2003
    Don't u guys think it would be so cool is apple could just change their whole linup overnight!!!

9. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    970 chip will not appear in PowerBooks until it shows up in Power Mac line first. And when Apple decides to update PowerBook line with 970 chip, they will do so with the entire line, not just one particular model. 970 showing up in 15" PowerBook will not happen.
  10. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    there really is no reason why the 970 has to be in the PowerMacs first. it would be quite possible that they are unveiled in the PowerBooks then in the PM's a couple of weeks, or a month later.

at the moment it seems very likely that the 970 in PM's will be revealed at WWDC (especially since there are all of these rumors of palettes loaded with Mac's & marked "Do Not Open Until..." June sometime.)

it would be really good to see Apple bring out a genuinely "upgraded" PB in the next couple of months, but after all of the different rumors going around i don't know what to beleive.

oh well... i'm just going to keep hoping.:)
  11. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    well that would be to nice, but it will to 99% not happen - period.