New 15" Powerbook screen brightness is approx 15%

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by amac4me, Nov 3, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Macworld has just posted a review of the new Powerbooks. Several of us on these forums have questioned the brightness of the new 15" Powerbooks as Apple hasn't released that information on their website. Apple has only touted the 46% increase in brightness on the 17" model.

According to the Macworld article, the new 15" has an increased brighness of approximately 15%

"To help with readability, Apple has boosted the new models’ screen brightness—by a noticeable 46 percent in the 17-inch PowerBook and by 13
    to 15 percent in the 15-inch model, according to the company."

Overall, I think that's quite disappointing when compared to the 17". At least we now know the increased brightness level on the 15"

Here's the article:
    http://www.macworld.com/2005/11/reviews/powerbookg4rev/index.php

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Hardly impressive, but at least something was done in the needed area of screen brightness.

3. munckee macrumors 65816

I believe the apple site claims 22% on the 15". (I'm not disputing the test, simply filling in info in comparison to their claims on the 17").

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

actually, the apple site does not state how much brigther the new 15" is compared to the previous model.

5. revisionA macrumors 6502

I can read mine fine at two or three bars of brightness... when in the dark.

One bar is ok when the battery is low.

I guess they are trying to position the 17 as a media laptop.

p.s. watched my first dvd on the new pb, roxx.

6. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

No mention of the horizontal-lines issue?

Andrew

7. iAFC macrumors member

What's the screen brightness in iBooks 14"? Is it good?

8. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    My Rev. A Pb brightness is pretty low. I constantly find myself at full brightness hitting the increase brightness button only to find out I'm at the max. I would think that they could release some kinda third party software to increase this at the expense of more battery? Althought I guess if this was feasible someone would have done it.

9. revisionA macrumors 6502

minor horiz.

Actually, if I strain my eyes I can see them. But then again I have astigmatism and near sightedness... so I barely can see them.

I cant wait to find out if there is improvement in the repaired models, I just got mine and will wait 2 weeks before deciding to return for such a minor issue.

Its fully usable and a great system... at least no dead pixels!

$

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think the 22% is in reference to the increase in screen pixels, not brightness.

As for the 15% increase in brightness, I'm fine with that - any improvement is a good thing, and I'm looking forward to getting mine (it was approved at work so I should have it in a couple of weeks). I'm more looking forward to the increase in pixels than the brightness.

Of course, I'm currently using a 3 year old Ti PowerBook, so the brightness increase is likely much greater. Plus I tend to hook up to an external display when at work.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

While I do like the increased maximum brightness, the following are needed a little bit more...

Higher resolution
    More brightness levels. I like to use my TiBook in the dark, but the minimum brightness, is too bright for such use, there needs to be several more levels between current minimum, and off.

TEG

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

You must have better eyes than I do ;)

The current revised resolution seems to be pretty good, based on what I saw at the Apple Store last week. I don't know that I'd want higher resolution on such a (relatively) small screen as the 15". The 17" maybe, but since I'm not getting one I didn't spend a lot of time checking it out.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I say higher resolution, because all the newer PC laptops look very HD to me, and I haven't seen the new ones. I actually like the 1152x768 of my TiBook, it's just that I can see every pixel, and I don't like that.

TEG

14. munckee macrumors 65816

You're right. I saw the brightness listing on the 17" and assumed that the 26% listed for the 15" was brightness as well. You're right, its 26% more pixels.