New 15" Powerbook Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BWhaler, Feb 17, 2003.

1. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Amazon.com is currently listing all versions of the 15 inch PowerBook as discontinued.

Here's to hoping that Tuesday is the day for the looong awaited refresh.

--BWhaler

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

That would be nice. But I doubt it will happen so soon, only about 3 months after last upgrade for TiBooks. That will really upset some of the recent TiBook buyers. I assume many of those 1Ghz TiBook buyers will have something to say about this if it were to happen. But Steve did say this year was going to be year of laptops. So maybe anything is possible.

3. iGav macrumors G3

I'd agree with that, been that I bought a 1GHz TiBook when they came out..... although you can't stop progress.... that's why I'm ordering a 17" heh heh!!

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Um, the 867 MHz 15" model is still shipping in 24 hours...

Also it lists the superdrive 12" pb as "not available yet"...which is inaccurate of course. :)

5. grimmace macrumors regular

I find the 17" to be false advertising. It had better be on the shelf or in someones hand by the beginning of next month!

6. Bear macrumors G3

You are being awfully negative this morning. This is not the first forum thread you've made this statement in.

The 17" is real.

7. grimmace macrumors regular

:D I want my 17" like everyone else and the 17" of snow outside makes me want it even more. :D

Pixie dust.

8. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Patience, you will get yours when they are ready. There are always delays for things like these. Took forever to get the first iMac g4's in. You'll still have yours before most everyone else.

9. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I think 17 inch is taking way too long to come out. I think people have right to get impatient over this. What is the reason? High demand? Just a ploy to get people all worked up over 17 inch?

10. littlejim Guest

I want my 17 inch yesterday too ... but isn't it only six weeks since it was announced, and the quoted shipping time was 7 - 10 weeks?

---------
    littlejim

Gimme my 17''
    Gimme an Apple Store London

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Does everybody really think the FW800 PowerBook 15 will be announced before Apple finishes ironing out the production problems on the PowerBook 17?

Since so much of the machine is shared between the two, except for the screen and the case.

And Apple is juggling quite a few productions changes in so short a time.

Of course it is a just a PowerBook 17 variant ... hopefully.

12. BWhaler thread starter macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Bummer...

Well, show what the heck I know. Fell asleep dreaming of a new PowerBook...and awoke to the reality of more waiting...

Oh well...

13. morlium macrumors regular

Re: New 15" Powerbook Tomorrow

since when is Amazon a rumor source.

man ... you guys are really reaching.

14. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Reaching happens when longing becomes passionate!

15. Bear macrumors G3

Re: New 15" Powerbook Tomorrow

Actually Amazon.com says:
    While normally it can mean they are just out of stock, this looks like the part number is no longer available for them to order.

Who knows what it really means. However, it is important to note that the leadtime for the 15" Powerbook from the Apple Store is still only 1 to 2 days. This sounds like there is still a decent stock of them. Although it could just mean they will stay around as OS 9 bootable machines much like there it a PowerMac OS 9 bootable machine.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Re: Re: New 15" Powerbook Tomorrow

It makes sense for them to keep the machine around as OS9 bootable. That way they have a midrange desktop and midrange laptop available for those users. Of course it helps get rid of old inventory as well :)

I am just hoping that if new 15" PBs come out, current ones drop down in price :D

17. orangefoodie macrumors member

There is no doubt something is up with the 15 inch, and very soon at that.

The University of Michigan computer showcase has recently (in the last two weeks or so) dropped the price of the 15"/1ghz Tibook to 2138 dollars (and the 867 to 1799) - and look at the description:

*Apple Powerbook G4/1GHZ/15 Superdrive (DVD-R/CD-RW),512mb Ram (2 modules, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 w/64mb DDR Video Memory, Gigabit Ethernet, 56k internal modem, 1 FireWire & 2 USB ports,Airport Card included, Includes 3 Year AppleCare Proteciton Plan *WHILE SUPPLY LASTS!*

(Bolds added for added effect :D Also! Note the AppleCare added - the 12 and 17 inch models don't have that added in the price.)

If this doesn't sound like inventory clearing, I don't know what does...

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ok, so new 15" PowerBooks are coming... but i'll only beleive it when i see it. :)

20. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I'm pissed. I had a couple of Titaniums and each one felt fragile. The first one I had developed cracked hinges. Later models were quirky (heat/screen issues). Now Apple has come out with the 12 and 17-inch PowerBooks. The 12-inch is small for me. The 17-inch is nice but I think may be too big, nevermind it won't likely ship en masse until April. I feel like Goldilocks for crying out loud! I need something now and the fact that Apple striating it's PowerBook lines by doing this just plain sucks, IMHO! Look at how stupid the product line looks: most notably, the 15-inch PowerBook, the middle model, lacks Airport Extreme. It also sucks at its Airport range compared to the two new models on each side. C'mon Apple, people are waiting! Give us the damn aluminum 15-inch. You'd be rolling in dough.