New 17" TiPowerbooks, any issues?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Luigi, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Luigi macrumors newbie

Luigi

I am looking to upgrade my system. I want to purchase a 17" TiPB. Is there any know issues/defects/problems with the new machines that just came out?

I did hear that people were having problems ejecting CD/DVD's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Luigi

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

I have not bought one. If I was going to buy one, I would wait another 4-6 weeks. Let them iron out any basic construction or shipping issues on the early adopters, and then you can swoop in and buy a nice new faultless (we hope) machine with no worries! :D

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I have no major issues.

I have also heard of a CD ejecting issue over on MacNN, but it seemed to only be a particular brand of CD, Fujifilm or something. I personally have had no problems with the ejection mechanism.

And yes, technically you aren't supposed to call them tibooks anymore since they aren't made from titanium. ;)

As an early adopter, I was fully prepared for any first rev. issues, but have been pleasantly surprised that there are none.

5. Philinator macrumors newbie

I also have had no issues arise that I'm concerned about. It really is a beautiful machine, and it has worked great so far. The added bonus is the jaws that hit the floor when I pull my Powerbook out.

Philinator

6. Luigi thread starter macrumors newbie

Luigi

17" name

You are correct, it is aluminum. I am so use to calling the Powerbook a Ti Powerbook.

The machine I am upgrading from is a 15" TiPowerbook. I love the screen size but I will be working on some video editing in the next few weeks and I wanted to upgrade to the 17".

I will try to sell my 15" TiPB before the "supposedly" 15" AlPB comes out. Anyone has ideas if the 15" AlPB will come out?

Regads,
    Luigi

7. daedelgt macrumors member

Anyone found that the aluminum is hard as hell to scratch? I type with my watch on all the time, and my only mark on the entire machine is from a USB adapter a dropped from about 4 feet up.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

usually i would hold off getting a new model until they've been out for a few weeks... but the 17" PB's should be fine.

as for when the 15" AlPB's will be released... who knows? but i'm going to guess within the next few months.

9. Wren macrumors regular

There was a very good and comprehensive review of the new 17AlPowerbook on www.powerbookcentral.com. Personally I have had my 17PB for about 3 weeks now and it does not cease to AMAZE me. I performed some video editing on it the past couple of days and the color resloution and screen real estate is wonderful. The Superdrive is an added bonus and the 3D graphics for gaming is far better than I expected. This is the best portable computer in the market right now. I am enjoying it:)

10. PedroKr macrumors newbie

The Only Issue I have had with my new 17" is that either side of the screen, the metal is not finished perfectly, and has a sharp edge, that leaves marks at the edge, infront of the keyboard when it is closed. The marks do rub off, but if you were to leave it unprotected for too long, I'm sure it would be permanent.

It's fine when it's just closed normally, it only happens when I put it into it's sleeve in another bag, where it gets squeezed a little.

No biggie though, just got to find a couple of bobbles to stick on somewhere.

11. WilliamGates macrumors member

Same here PedroKr. My marks appear on the side edge of the left handrest, but I have ordered some RadTech clear bumpers and will post as soon as they arrive at

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

to let everyone know how they work. Meanwhile a simple sheet of paper cut to size solves the problem just as it did with my old 667 DVI.

12. firewire macrumors newbie

Radtech is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!! I orded the 17 SleeVZPower cover and the keyboard and LCD screensavRX. They are Great looking. Here is some Photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. firewire macrumors newbie

14. WilliamGates macrumors member

I just posted some temporary pics on my webpage until I can go to my brightly lit job and get better pics. You will see the LCD frame cushions from Radtech.com attached to my 17". They seem to be working as far as opening and closing the 17" but I must do some transporting to see if the marks from the LCD return on the edge of the hand rest. I do feel a sharp, protruding edge on the left edge of the LCD frame. Apple should have de-burred the LCD frame before assembly. To be fair Radtech does not have the 17" cushions out yet. These cushions are for the Ti or the iBook.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

I would have preferred the cushions to be smaller, firmer and dome-like, but thats just me I guess. Maybe this will be the type Radtech supplies in the future for the 17"

15. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I don't like how i keep hitting the caps lock button instead of the "a" button. I don't like how right before the speakers are about to go on, they make a slight noise, and I don't like how I don't really feel that comfortable in OSX, but i'm getting there, and I know that the latter is my problem, not the machines... but other than that, it's a great machine. I love the way the keyboard feels when i type... very very nice feel to it.

16. Wano macrumors 6502

17. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

http://www.radtech.us